poor running mower

Discussion in 'Small Engines' started by ssergel, Feb 23, 2015.

1. NickD

NickD wrench

Assume no mixture adjustments, EPA outlawed these 10-15 years ago. Just the slightest amount of corrosion in the jets or film will cause these kind of problems. Have a set of numbered drills, #1 to #80 size, find the right one to clean that hole, better not enlarge it. Go to any dealer, will tell you, you need a new carb.

Are you using E10 in this machine? Sure corrodes the insides of those jets. At one time, can't remember, don't want to, we could only buy E10, Mercury Outboard screamed the loudest, as well as other manufacturers of outboards and small engines, ATV's, snowmobiles. So we could then buy 91 octane, ethanol free, now some stations are selling it in 89 octane. It sure made one hell of a mess with my 88 Supra, you could have heard me cussing from here.

Some of the newer engines claim to be E10 compatible. My Volvo I/O boat has a sign by the gas cap, do not use ethanol, but the only place I found this sign on any of my old stuff.

Fuel stabilizer does not work with ethanol.

2. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    @NickD, care to elaborate on this comment. I was not aware at all that fuel stabilizers incompatible with current EPA standards. This is not a challenge, merely a note so myself to research this. I respect your wisdom, hence my question. Would like to know why.

3. nickb2

northern car tech
    As for my other thread, homemade tools, I use these dollorama tooth care brushes for small carb jets. :)

Attached Files:

4. NickD

NickD wrench

Stabilizer does not prevent jet corrosion of E10. Some small engines use a vacuum driven fuel pump with a neoprene diaphragm, E10 is not very kind to these either. My newest engine claims to be E10 compatible, but for a few cents extra per gallon, sticking with ethanol free. And have no reason to take the carb apart to learn what they are doing different.

5. nickb2

northern car tech
    @NickD

OK, I get the neoprene non-friendly. Did not know this.

So that being said, the ethanol degrades the synthetic diaphragm, but how does a octane measure come into account for carb jet carbon build up?

When I used to drag race, would only use high octane and/or jet fuel additive for purest form and best performance.

Most of my carbs back then were clean as a whistle and needed almost no maintenance.

Is it the bio fuel in e10 that causes what you describe?

6. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I have to offer a dissenting opinion on E10... I have never seen any new problems since E10 became standard here in Calif. (10-15 yrs. now?). Carb corrosion problems were common back in the 1960's, long before lead was being phased out. Neoprene swells/softens with gasoline, no alcohol needed. Yeah, it can be used for gasoline service, and often is for low cost, but gasoline really requires either a fluorocarbon seal (like Viton) or polysulfide (like Thiokol).

7. NickD

NickD wrench

Won't get into a dispute on this issue, 50 different states and 50 different means of manufacturing E10, plus we live in a humid state with ethanol being highly hygroscopic. Start off with a low 80 octane gas and attempt to mix ethanol with it, and whoever said that alcohol and gas doesn't mix can also apply this to E10.

With a good quality otoscope, can see a green corrosion layer inside the brass jets, and just to 2 mil layer of it can cut the fuel mixture by 25%. Eliminating mixture controls and introducing ethanol was a bit too much. Then the possibility of just getting low octane fuel. Had this happen, and talk about engine detonation. We have 15 ethanol plants all and 15 are breaking Fed EPA emission regulations. Some are losing money and going bankrupt, doesn't break my heart. Corn here was $1.56 a bushel, rose to over nine bucks, but now down to under five bucks. Put many a small diary farmer out of business, corn was worth a lot more than feeding it to a cow. And the price of diary products and meat has literally skyrocketed.

8. nickb2

northern car tech
    I like this, it sinks into my man brain.