Make
Ford
Model
Ranger edge
Year
Miles
Engine
2002 Ford Ranger edge 135000 miles 3.0
My girlfriend noticed the overdrive off light came on about a year ago. And I noticed it a month ago or so. And again today.
I checked the fluid level and it was at the bottom hash line so I put in a half a quart. I checked the level again and it was about 3/16 of an inch above the full line.
I started to notice an oil spot directly under the tranny coolant lines probably within the last 6 months. It could have been longer than that I just didn't notice.
I started parking the truck in a different spot and noticed the oil spot followed.
I crawled under and had a look at the tranny coolant lines and noticed they were wet with tranny fluid. The tranny lines run to the radiator and if I remember right they go to a little matrix box about 12"x12"x1". The lines that run from the little matrix box are rubber line. The hose clamps at the top seemed tight the 2 at the bottom seemed loose so I tightened those ones. I also notice one of the hoseses seemed to short and had been rubbing on the radiator houseing.
I notice the tranny was shifting hard a few times at slower speeds.
No check engine light. Just the O/D off flashing.
Hopefully this is something simple like a sensor.
Thanks

Not the first time I had to replace AT coolant line, but in road salt areas, more like 8 years instead of 16. Not quite sure about this Ford, typical in other vehicles, its the brake switch with dirty contacts, have to make good contact with the service brake pedal up to stay in OD.

DJM1972

Well its been a week and I didn't really get anywhere. I had to relearn how to check tranny fluid levels. After haveing that manual 5 speed for over 5 years I litterally think I forgot how to check automatic tranny fluid.
After a few days I realized the temp gauge may have said normal operating temp but that didn't mean the tranny was warm. I only live 2 miles from work.
So I started checking it after the truck had been run for 1/2 hour. I finally started to get a consistant reading.
It was reading about 3/4" over the top hash line. So now I have to drain tranny fluid. I think I understand why transmissions are sealed now a days.
I thought about just letting it leak back out. But I think I may have some what fixed that leak buy tightening those hose clamps up a 2nd time.
I guess I'll keep any eye on it. I drove it for about 30 miles yesterday and it drove flawlessly.

"you need to have the codes read then i can help this should be in the transmission forum but i'll check back in"
Doesn't there have to be a check engine light in order to have the codes read.

Not necessarily. You could have a pending code in your PCM. When the PCM detects a fault, sometimes it will store it as a pending fault and not light up the MIL unless the fault remains for a period of time. You can read pending faults if you have the right scanner.

DJM1972

Well I finally got my codes ran and the guys said there were no codes. I forgot I had that thing going 90mph on the express way. I bought new rubber coolant lines and I might drain some tranny fluid today. I was just going to drain it out of the coolant lines instead of dropping the pan.

DJM1972

Well its been over a month since my last post. I never did put the new rubber coolant lines on. I drain some tranny fluid out the coolant lines. And got the level down to about a 1/4 " above the top hash line. Haven't had any problems until the other day.
As I was leaving my dads the other day, I went to put it into drive and it wouldn't go anywhere. I looked down at the shifter and the needle indicator wasn't on the D I hit the gas again it just revved up. What the...
Then I wiggled the shifter. Ahh then I actually seen it. It looked like the shifter indacator was a whole notch off to the right. This happened before but I didn't acutally see it like I did this time.
So I came home from work the next day and crawled under it and was looking for the linkage. I seen one linkage but I thought it was for the passing gear. I haven't mess with a tranny in over 12 years. After looking inside and out I figured out that this was the shifter linkage. Everything looked ok under there. I didn't have a 2nd person to shift gears while I watch from underneith. So I crawled inside to have a look at the colum.
I used my head to depress the brake pedal as I reached up and put the keys in the ign. turning it on. Then shifting through the gears and holding my flashlight in my right hand watching everything. It looked as though something is loose in there.
Now my only bad experience with these types of repairs have been the fact that I never get the interior components back in properly. LOL