power seat issue '97 F150

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Ford
MODEL:F150
YEAR:1997
MILES:147,000
ENGINE:5.4 V8
DESCRIBE ISSUE....Power seat wiring

I'm having an intermittant issue with the forward/back power seat. I think it may be the switch. I need someone to post a wiring diagram of the switches for the driver's power seat.

The issue I had with the power mirrors is resolved. It was the switch

WOW! First time I ever posted needing a bit of help and got no response. Bummer!

billr

wrench
Staff member
After a few days, "bump" any unanswered posts. Sometimes they slip "out of sight, out of mind" when people are away on vacation or too busy at work/life to visit here regularly. I don't have those schematics, but I expect you will get something posted soon.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also of note, there is a TSB for this particular forward/backward but it is for the recliner position so may not apply to you. Check it out, may help you pin it down. If I understand correctly, you are having trouble but it is intermittent. I would first start by checking any loose connections, often stuff rolls under the seat, dislocates something. You could throw a switch at it and not get joy and still have that intermittent.

I would wiggle test harness first with said switch in operation, you will probably find that it is not the switch, but just a loose contact.

I know that most times when I get a problem like that, I find a toy, old coffee mug, or even worse, women's underpants jamming up something. If you get my drift.

:cool:

One of the grossest things I found shorting out a seat motor, a rotten sandwich once, another time, a rotten apple. Both times, just the juice from the fermenting, offending food was enough to seep in the connections and short intermittent.

And the worst most disgusting thing that you will not believe, a used condom somehow got in the cracks. Wrapped itself around a motor shaft. I went in the waiting area and dangled the now unrolled condom in front of the client. I said, really? You almost just paid for seat cleaning cuz I actually just gagged and threw up in my mouth when I found this. Your car is now fixed. :eek:

The other clients in the waiting area freaked. Safe to say, I never saw that client again. Disgusting is a understatement.

No offense to women, but they have the craziest things lying around here and there that will gross out even the most hardened mechanic. I once had to adjust a parking brake lever, had to go under the center console for that. Guess what I found, a god damn used sanitary napkin for you know what. That also was another gag moment. So my half assed brain put on double gloves, and I threw that right in the center of her dash board and parked the car. I then gave her the keys, winked, and said you need to check you tpms system, the light is flashing.

I think the car skidded in reverse so fast she left the lot. LMAO.

That is what 27yrs in this trade get you. But I think plumbers actually have the grossest job.

So I hope that made you laugh.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Since I am on a roll, and on vacation today.

I would like to say this to anybody that may fall on this thread. When you bring you car into the shop, plz try to clean the interior of your car. Nobody wants to see what you do in your personal life.

Some ppl are just disgusting, and makes you wonder what their living room looks like. Yikes.

Just a few weeks ago, had to diagnose a bad fuel pump. Test connector at fuel pump which on that model is under the rear cushion, I found dog shyte. Like rock hard kind of shyte. How does that go unnoticed for so long? I had to roll down all the windows just to haul the car in the shop.

Another example, a few months ago, had to put back in a life saver doughnut in the trunk. Raunchy skivvys, dirty bra's, melted lipstick and numerous other items I think my head just blanked out. When I started to look for the wheel lug lock key, could not find that. So I opened the glove compartment. What a discovery of more disgusting stuff.

So I then went into the waiting area, asked to offending lady to plz help me find her lock key. I said, while your at it, would you mind removing the skivvys with the shyte marks, and maybe a few of those bra's so I can finally put the spare back and stop wondering why all this stuff is just lying around. She looked at me with an impish smile, looked on the floor the whole time, probably wondering how did her life get so messed up. Nice looking chick, with a nice benz, all the money in the world with very unsavory life habits. Since I am not a pschyciatrist, I won't even start to diagnose this chick. But I think something bi-polar is going on there. She even had the balls to ask for my private number for futur work under the table, I said no thx.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Again, on a roll, once found what I think was at least a half kilo of cocaine shoved up under the dash. I saw the harley sticker on the back bumper, took a gander at the client, safely decided to put back the drugs exactly where I found it. Which was very well hidden above the evaporator core.

Didn't want that guy looking for my number with a few of his buddies. Some things are better left alone.

Gave the guy a wink, I said everything is all back together. You now have A/C again. He said thx, gave me a 60$ tip. I was kind of wondering why he was biting his nails when I was starting to dismember his dashboard to get to the core. I soon found that out. :cool:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Again on a roll, but was not the fault of the client, but very disgusting.

I was working for mopar at the time. Caravan in on the towing. As usual, either the tranny or the fuel pump gave out. Nope, I found that no gas in the van, hear the pump, throw fuel in, gas pouring out under the van. I thought she just ran out of gas and ran dry. Nope.

Proceed to lift it, find a deer horn straight threw the gas tank. Wow, that was a first. Now I am looking at what seems to be the rest of the head of the deer. Nose parts, hair, maybe brain matter and what not. Safe to say, it was power wash time before even touching the plastic fuel cell. I did put the deer horn in a ziplock bag. Went and saw the female client and asked, how did you get stalled? She said she was driving on the highway 20 in quebec, felt a thump, a few exits later, the van quit on her.

I said, you may want to keep what is in that ziplock, I think your insurance may want that if you want to get paid, cuz that is not covered under mopar 3 year 60k/km plan.

I can only surmise that some peterbuilt or mac truck hit the deer and she somehow did not see that severed head in the fast lane. It could happen to anybody. I was just happy she didn't meet the WHOLE deer. :eek: Lucky is an understatement here.

So who has a good day fishing, puts the fish in a leaky cooler in the back of their Jeep, then drops off the Jeep at the shop for repairs? Three hot summer days later, who gets to go to the back lot to bring that Jeep into the shop for repairs? I am not a fisherman, I am a mechanic. Maybe that is why I don't like the smell of dead fish...

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So who has a good day fishing, puts the fish in a leaky cooler in the back of their Jeep, then drops off the Jeep at the shop for repairs? Three hot summer days later, who gets to go to the back lot to bring that Jeep into the shop for repairs? I am not a fisherman, I am a mechanic. Maybe that is why I don't like the smell of dead fish...
No way? Three summer days later? Yeah, me too. I think if I smelled that, I would never eat fish again. That jeep was probably black to boot.

:eek: