power sliding door issue

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by tduty, Aug 19, 2012.

1. tduty

tduty Jr. Member

have a puzzler, don't mess with these much but heres what i got ---2002 olds sihloette ( mini-van ), left door will not open on own but you can hear actuators working, now i noticed when right would open it popped out slightly at rear just as it opened, and not getting that on left, now if i slightly pryed on rear of door , it would open---do i have a switch failed or doe's this thing got some kind of actuator that pushes on rear of door to release rear latch

2. Koscoe

Koscoe Jr. Member

very interested in this answer. i have an 02 Venture with automatic sliding door that works half of the time.

3. NickD

NickD wrench

Maybe Jim will post a schematic, really not much different than power window problems, switches, motors, relays with no hand crank available if you run into problems. But I believe you can still work these doors manually.

4. The old man

The old man Hero Member

The door should pop out on the back side on its own if opening by hand. If it doesn't you might have to lubricate the latching lock. The locking latch also should have a spring on it to help the door pop out first before it actuates to move it open electrically. It might be broken. Open the door and take a look and spray a penetrant on it to loosen the latch up.

My door on the GMC van would not pop open on the back and I sprayed a penetrant on it to loosen it up and now it pops right open when I unlatch the lock with the handle.

My 2003 Chrysler automatic door will also pop open in the back of the door when trying to manually open it without the electrics. Worth a try to lubricate the latch with some kind of penetrant to help it pop open and check to see if the spring is broke or something is wrong there.

5. tduty

tduty Jr. Member

already lubed all latch mechanisms , upper and lower rails for door---as far as can tell, latches working as should

6. The old man

The old man Hero Member

When you manually pull the door handle on the outside, does the back end of the door pop out without you pulling it out?

7. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Here you go Nick....Jim

Attached Files:

8. Gus

Gus wrench

Nor sure, but methinks there is a recall for this problem?

9. tduty

tduty Jr. Member

old man--most time to open door -have to use small prybar to pop out rear to open , occasionally it will open if i yank hard enough without bar

10. tduty

tduty Jr. Member

gus -- you sure there's a recall on this issue ?

11. Jim Fairbanks

Jim Fairbanks wrench

Hey Gus....the only recall I could find was for the interior door handle....there is a tsb about the door being inoperative....Jim..............

Bulletin No.: 05-08-64-006

Date: February 25, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:

Left Hand Power Sliding Side Door Inoperative (Replace Cable Assembly)

Models:
    2002-2005 Chevrolet Venture
    2002-2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette
    2002-2005 Pontiac Montana

Condition

Some customers may comment that the left hand power sliding side door is inoperative.

Cause

The cable may be bound up internally or the cable end may have come off.

Correction

Replace the cable assembly following the procedure below.

12. The old man

The old man Hero Member

tduty: If you say the door works great once you pull the rear of the door out a little, It sounds like to me that your Power Door Unlatch Actuator electrically is working or you would not be able to even pull the rear of the door open at all with a little pry bar. If your door works as it should after you get the rear of the door pryed open a little,(both opening and closing), then that part of it as far as electrically opening and closing, should also be OK.

If you lubricated your door locking latch will just oiling it or grease etc, that might not be enough. I had to take a penetrant like "Bolt Buster", and spray it down real good to clean all the old gunk off of it and penetrant down into the system of the lock. While I held the door handle open with one hand, I worked the the lock latch back and forth fully with a screwdriver until it freed up and worked real easy. The door also has a spring which looks something like a coil somewhat with extension of it to apply force to the door to push the door out. Make sure it is not broken or weak. Both my gmc van and 2003 chrysler both have that type of spring on it. I would guess yours will be similar. I have a 2002 venture that I will be working on and when it come over I will take a look at how it is working as far as the spring open is concerned. It is just my opinion. It is hard to tell when you don't actually see the door in person. Is there a posibility also that your door might be sagging a little and hanging up on the latching bolt, because of a bad bottom bearing? How often is that side of the door used? How much slop or play compared to the other door does it have when manually opened? Just some things to think about.

My 94 GMC van sliding door was hung up like that since I got it, until I sprayed the penetrant on it and worked the latch back and forth till it worked smooth. It work great now.

13. NickD

NickD wrench

Sound like the "Lubricated For Life" syndrome with dried up grease. Not only in doors but everywhere in today's vehicles.

Received a brand new in the box gear motor from the FAA manufactured in 1951, grease inside was as hard as a rock. But at least it had screws in it so I could take it apart and soak it in solvent, like brand new again.

But today faced with two questions, where are the screws, and where is the grease? In these lubricated for life components. On jobs like this start off with a can of carb and choke cleaner, really cuts into that dried up grease. Followed with a stiff brush and Q-tips, whatever I can find to clean it off. WD-40 may work, but only good for a couple of weeks.

Door panels used to have screws on them, got rid of those, hell of a lot easier to snap those in than to unsnap them. Have to use a heat gun or will break off those dinky little plastic tabs.

14. Gus

Gus wrench

It's possible the recall was for an earlier year(you had to replace an actuator)......I remember the handle recall coming after the actuator, just don't remember which years were involved......in fact, there was a second recall, to replace the first one that was replaced, if the stamped number on it was wrong.....

Here's the thing.....manually, turn the power off to the left door(overhead switch)......now manually open the door....it should open easily, and slide back and forth....there should be no pry bar involved(it's possible the latch is gunked up real bad, and if it can't be lubed, it has to be replaced)....do the same to the other side...shut the power off and manually open the door to compare operation.......

If the left side does not open easily, manually, like the right side, then the door trim has to be removed(pain in the butt)......a linkage could be bent or out of one of it's retainers, thus not giving enough "throw" to a latch....or a latch could be defective......or a rod to the locking mechanism could be at fault......manually lock and unlock the slider up and down and "feel" if it is working....also check the guides and rollers for obstructions.......

My worse nightmare was, I had to replaced the entire module for the right side once, once again, not an easy job.....everything was adjusted(adjusting a clutch was involved)......when done, the door worked fine....there were no codes......when the customer picked the vehicle up, he tried it several times to his satisfaction.......comes back a month later, and the module is bad again(this is very expensive).....of course in that month, it was NEVER USED.....and then it was used and there was a strange noise and then it didn't work......guy was angry.......owner gave him a loaner.....I got another module and put it in......the same way.....but the guy liked his loaner, and bought a new one like it.....sold the van to a local, who never had a problem......then one day the guy comes in with his rug rats, and they are slamming the doors on the vehicle.....brand new car looked like it was already 3-4 years old......makes me wonder....two modules in a van, where I never had ro replace one before, hmmmm....