Question about brake calipers

1540768693387.png When you wrote "The pins on this thing are really just small bolts holding the caliper to a bracket assembly that holds the pads"..............I have to wonder if you understand how the guide pins function.

The bolts that hold the caliper onto the bracket go through the caliper and then thread into the guide pins. Guide pins go through rubber bellows that allow movement, but keep guide pin lube in and "the elements" out. Problems occur if guide pins "get stuck". Some calipers have one short pin and one longer pin, and if they get put into the wrong holes, that is a problem.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I have to wonder if you understand how the guide pins function.
I also found this statement confusing. I did not remark upon it because I thought maybe my french was in the way, but if Dan saw that, I was not far.

The pins slide in the "bracket".

The bolts hold the caliper to the bracket "via" the pins.

Hence movement. Dan should write articles, his english is way better than mine.

@Dan, my country legalized weed. We even have spots now for legal buying. Funny thing is, the legal pot home depot is in "rupture de stock"

When government mixes in the tax dept, they sure know how to tax, but damn sure don't know how to curb the black market. This whole new legal pot thing was supposed to curb buying off the local johnny boy you didn't have to pay tax to.

Well, reality is, local johnny boy is buisness as usual, local gov is a laughing joke. Good thing I didn't vote for this genius scheme,

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hey, you guys got trump, we got trudeau jr.

I sometimes fantasize seeing that piongh ching chang thing having a threesome with trump and trudeau whilst some misty fox films the whole thing.

Some of these geniuses actually have the codes to the nuclear bomb in a briefcase some gofer has to lug around at their convenience. What a world we live in.

I went on line SQDC to buy some purple kush with my prepaid mastercard (prepaid cuz someone told me the USA checks that info and can barr me from entering the usa), not going to happen.The Kush I mean. Me entering the usa is another story which is not going to happen. My queen wants a pardon, so does your gov to let me set foot there cuz I have a few charges. F it, not worth the 5g's they are asking for tje queens pardon. I have seen new york, boston, chicago, Even saw a nascar race at watkins glen. What a hoot there. Eochester has real cool sites, nice camp grounds and scenery. But I have such a large country, I can visit there. Anyway, way off topic in my rant of the day. To early on my side of the ocean.

https://www.mtlblog.com/news/the-sq...res-indefinitely-between-monday-and-wednesday

So I went next door to see johnny, bought some quebec gold "cash" :money: instead and didn't get taxed for it.

Local johnny 1, gov 0,

Interesting read, if this is how my gov is going to treat my retirement fund, I am going to need johnny more and more. This planet is going down the shyter fast. Sometimes I think I am stupid cuz I didn't go further than trades schooling.

Then I see some idiot like Trump at the head/'HELM" of the worlds greatest armament. Don't forget, my canadian gov needs your usa a$$. Then I say to myself, if he can tweet, so can I. But then again, I ask myself, when do I actually have time to tweet. Is it a life sustaining thiing? No. I don't own a cell phone. Allergic to them. The actual device is not what pisses me off, it's the ppl that use them.

Anybody ever heard of lake meech agreement? That was the last time I actually ever voted again. Do the math, I am 43. Google https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meech_Lake_Accord
I was fifteen at the time. Old enough to know what this meant. I voted once 3 yrs later, voted for quebec separation cuz honestly, we do"t really need the rest of canada to survivve. , Or the USA for that matter.

As the process wore on, journalists noted that the secrecy and spin began to echo the original meetings that had created problems in the first place.[49] Historian Michael Bliss described the spectacle as "nauseating".[50]

There are very few differences between your country and mine. Apart from the fact my next door neighbor doesn't have the god given right to own a assault rifle, we are pretty much the same species. Although, your election process does make for good TV drama. :D

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The actual device is not what pisses me off, it's the ppl that use them.
Then I re read myself. And say to myself. What a idiot I am for speaking out. I am tweeting in my own fashion on some sort of device. Good thing my hands are not on some magic button that can wipe out a country in a day.

I would probably blow my own country just to stop us from being a nuisance to the planet.

Boomer

BTW Boomer, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it you who had a brother with a nice old/vintage gm? How is he and how are you? Still working hard at the factory?

I love this vintage tune.

Yep Nick. That's me. I think my brother sold most of his old camaros. I do still have my 88 IROC-Z.
I've used Permatex disc brake quiet before. It is good stuff. I'm surprised to see it in an aerosol can though. The stuff I had was in a small container with a brush built into the cap.

Boomer

Ok update time. I took the calipers off and made sure the pistons were all the way back. I removed the brackets that hold the pads and made sure they moved pretty freely in the brackets. After putting it all back together. I started the truck again and put it in drive with it still jacked up and, no tires. This time both wheels spun and kept spinning.

I put the tires on and went for a drive. Everything seemed normal. I definitely have more pedal than I did before the job. I decided I would drive it to work today (16 miles each way) It all seems ok. There is still a little smell if I go back by the back wheels afterward. The rim wasn't overly hot though. Not really much different than the front rims. Perhaps the smell is the new ceramic pads? These are the one I bought.

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...alast-gold-brake-pads/582219_855548_3773_4107

I figure I'll drive it back and forth to work a couple of more days and then maybe take the wheels off again and check it.

Did you make sure that the guide pins moved with minimal resistance in the brackets? I guess that movement would be best described as "in and out".
1540956715568.png

Last edited:

Boomer

[
Did you make sure that the guide pins moved with minimal resistance in the brackets? I guess that movement would be best described as "in and out".
View attachment 10313
I just took it back apart. Those things don’t move at all. I decided to take the rubber bellows off and, break it loose. Well I’m sure you know what happened. I broke it loose alright. So, it’s a moot point now to ask the question of whether I should bite the bullet and buy a new caliper assembly. Got one ordered and will put it on this weekend. I was doing the right thing. Correct?

View attachment 10313

Attachments

Yes, if the pins are seized, replacing the entire caliper is usually the best choice.

Here's a tip...to keep from making a huge mess, use some sort of rod to hold brake pedal down about 1 inch before you remove brake hose from caliper. This should stop fluid from constantly running out of the hose while it is unattached. Work fast, your brake lights may be on and run down your battery.
Some people might just pinch the brake hose with vice-grips...I try to avoid that.

PC

I changed the front calipers on a '01 Astro van and another poster offered the same tip so as not to get air in the ABS, so I took "The Club" and wedged it backward to hold down the brake pedal which covers the compensation port in the master cyl and keeps the fluid from running out. Worked like a charm.
I had the same rear brake fiasco on a 2012 Fusion. Ate up the outboard pads, replaced pads and rotors, turned in the piston, lubed up everything, right wheel still tight. Finally replaced right side caliper AND bracket, so far it seems good. This time I used Centric Posi-quiet pads and coated rotors, no noise, no dust.

Boomer

Yes, if the pins are seized, replacing the entire caliper is usually the best choice.

Here's a tip...to keep from making a huge mess, use some sort of rod to hold brake pedal down about 1 inch before you remove brake hose from caliper. This should stop fluid from constantly running out of the hose while it is unattached. Work fast, your brake lights may be on and run down your battery.
Some people might just pinch the brake hose with vice-grips...I try to avoid that.
Thanks for tip. I’m trying to make sense of how that works. It would seem to me that pushing the brake pedal would cause more fluid to run out. You push the brake, fluid pressure pushes the piston towards the pad. Obviously through the hose.

I believe you. You do this for a living. I’m just trying to make sense if the “why” behind it.

To clarify...use a rod to push down pedal 1 inch AND HOLD IT AT THAT POSITION while the hose is not attached to a caliper.

Don't worry about the fact that a tiny amount of fluid will be forced into the caliber when you push the pedal down 1 inch. The piston will "move out" a fraction of an inch, it doesn't matter. You haven't removed the hose yet, at that point.

Last edited:

©hester

Even though you installed new metal slides, you may want to take a close look how they mount on the caliber bracket. This bracket is made of steel and subject to corrosion. Check under the new metal slides for corrosion build up on the caliber bracket. That basically decreases the distance between the top and the bottom of the caliber slides. Too much corrosion may cause the pads to bind in the new slides because there is not enough clearance.
Good luck