Chevy
Model
Malibu max LS V6
Year
Miles
154 426
Engine
3.5 L
Bought a used car and it does not have an owners manual and I want to know that I'm reading dipstick correctly. The stick has a crossed line section with I think three holes in it. Do I assume the full mark is to be where the cross lined section ends?

Attachments

eddieguy

Bought a used car and it does not have an owners manual and I want to know that I'm reading dipstick correctly. The stick has a crossed line section with I think three holes in it. Do I assume the full mark is to be where the cross lined section ends?
Correction the dipstick has 4 holes on it no three
Do you look at both sides of dipstick and if so and the level is different on one side then what side do you use as your reference?

Full is top of the crossed lines. Also top hole. Clean dipstick until holes are not filled with oil. Insert/remove. Now...how many holes are full of oil?

©hester

Correction the dipstick has 4 holes on it no three
Do you look at both sides of dipstick and if so and the level is different on one side then what side do you use as your reference?
Does this help? It's for a 2001 Malibu 3.1l.

Attachments

eddieguy

Full is top of the crossed lines. Also top hole. Clean dipstick until holes are not filled with oil. Insert/remove. Now...how many holes are full of oil?
Oil level covers hree holes from he tip nd on up. Levl rests between third and fourth hole

eddieguy

Words such as add or full don't appear on the dipstick
One reason I asked this question is because I have had cars that the dipstick actually said don't add if level was in the crossed line section and that crossed line section was over an inch long so I wanted to make certain I had the proper level

©hester

Dan is right. Full is at the top of the hashes. And add is at the bottom of the hashes. Consider each hole as 1/4 qt.

©hester

FYI, just in case, it takes 4.5 qts. May I suggest filling with 4 qts, cycle the engine and check where you're at. Should be half way up the hash marks or be at the second hole.

Cheers

©hester

Hey Ed. I just noticed you listed a 3.5l engine. I'm sorry, I thought we were talking 3.1 l. My bad. Please disregard my posts as they all relate to a 3.1l. Again my apology.
TTFN

grcauto

When checking at a station or such look at the stick on both sides. The side that is lowest is the correct reading. If your car has been sitting all night they will be the same. What happens is when the car has been run the oil will be up into the tube and the way the stick comes out one side may pick up some of the oil on the tube. Always check both sides on warm/hot engine. Always wait a few minutes for the oil to drain down before checking.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
To add and keep on with where chester was going.

For the 3.5l engine, you want to stick with synthetic 5w30, or if you live in cold country like me, 0w30.

The oil filter should be a generic number with the 4 last digits being 1040 for NAPA or WIX and that type. Maybe even walmart has same number. I know my local canadian tire uses 1040filters.

Interval should be no more than 8000km. I wouldn't go by the GM oil life system. I would rely on a good old school sticker some where.

Do you really need the dexos designation? I say no. Any full synthetic will more than surpass the dexos norms. But some may disagree with me, and I invite NO debate on this. It is just an educated opinion. The dexos debate is like kicking a dead dog.

Oil filters are another useless debate, kind of like which battery is better. There are only so many companies in the world that mass produce stuff. I do like the FRAM filters just cuz they are convenient with the asphalt like coating they put on the end, it does grip better even if your hands or gloves are covered in oil. But does that justify the 4$ more?

Apart from that, I guess we could go in the micro filtration side of things, but in todays standards, any generic stuff will more than surpass OEM when it comes to lubrication. The after market for this is very large and alot of ppl want a piece of the cake. Marketing is key. But when you change your oil at regular intervals, with any kind of oil filtration device, I have rarely seen engine failure.

Give the same well maintained car to your daughter or son you just sent off to college. Give him or her a sweet ride, but don't remind these young ppl with an app on their smart phone, what do you think happens?

©hester

To add and keep on with where chester was going.

For the 3.5l engine, you want to stick with synthetic 5w30, or if you live in cold country like me, 0w30.

The oil filter should be a generic number with the 4 last digits being 1040 for NAPA or WIX and that type. Maybe even walmart has same number. I know my local canadian tire uses 1040filters.

Interval should be no more than 8000km. I wouldn't go by the GM oil life system. I would rely on a good old school sticker some where.

Do you really need the dexos designation? I say no. Any full synthetic will more than surpass the dexos norms. But some may disagree with me, and I invite NO debate on this. It is just an educated opinion. The dexos debate is like kicking a dead dog.

Oil filters are another useless debate, kind of like which battery is better. There are only so many companies in the world that mass produce stuff. I do like the FRAM filters just cuz they are convenient with the asphalt like coating they put on the end, it does grip better even if your hands or gloves are covered in oil. But does that justify the 4$ more?

Apart from that, I guess we could go in the micro filtration side of things, but in todays standards, any generic stuff will more than surpass OEM when it comes to lubrication. The after market for this is very large and alot of ppl want a piece of the cake. Marketing is key. But when you change your oil at regular intervals, with any kind of oil filtration device, I have rarely seen engine failure.

Give the same well maintained car to your daughter or son you just sent off to college. Give him or her a sweet ride, but don't remind these young ppl with an app on their smart phone, what do you think happens?
Ya get what you pay for. I recently changed oil on a Ford Fusion. I have always used AC Delco oil filters. The filter that came off was from a quick change joint. Look at the picture and tell me which filter you would pick for your car.
1543209742880.png