Rear end or t-case

Make
Dodge
Model
Ram 1500 4x4
Year
Miles
Engine
I just started hearing a howl like a rear end bearing is going but after checking fluids find the rear is full but my transfer case is low or empty pulled filler plug stuck finger in hole got nothing I know how sound can travel so with yr and all things considered trying to find cheaper options what fluid does the t-case use? Norma

grcauto

I just started hearing a howl like a rear end bearing is going but after checking fluids find the rear is full but my transfer case is low or empty pulled filler plug stuck finger in hole got nothing I know how sound can travel so with yr and all things considered trying to find cheaper options what fluid does the t-case use? Norma
MOPAR Transfer Case Lubricant NV246

Looked it up calls I guess atf+4 still making sorta a humming noisemore pronounced in 3rd gear (5spd manual) but took it down dirt road and it's hard to hear it put in 4wd it seem to be less noise so I'm completely lost with what is going on with it

I am assuming that is where it's coming from but can't honestly tell I'll have my mechanic look at it when he gets back I guess as o know how almost impossible it is to pinpoint a noise driving down the rd

grcauto

Looked it up calls I guess atf+4 still making sorta a humming noisemore pronounced in 3rd gear (5spd manual) but took it down dirt road and it's hard to hear it put in 4wd it seem to be less noise so I'm completely lost with what is going on with it
Is the noise better?

I'm not sure if that's where noise is coming from I need to check trans too but didn't have a big enough Alan wrench to get the plug out. I'm just not sure how much I can put into this truck as it has other issues as well but on the other hand can't afford to replace it it's a work/daily driver for me

grcauto

I'm not sure if that's where noise is coming from I need to check trans too but didn't have a big enough Alan wrench to get the plug out. I'm just not sure how much I can put into this truck as it has other issues as well but on the other hand can't afford to replace it it's a work/daily driver for me
Is it an allen or fitted for a 3/8" drive.
There's a point at which you say enough is enough...only you can answer when that is.

At this point in only driving it if I need to go to town (10mile round trip) and that's only if absolutely necessary until my mechanic gets back from vacation

Well got the truck in the shop today after figuring out noise was in rear end and rear end is done truck is done needs more work than it's worth. So gotta find the next one