Reprogramming seat sensor cost

JP

But the question is, would I be able to calibrate the passenger presence sensor with this unit, or is that considered reprogramming, which would seem to require a subscription? In other words, is the seat calibration a "learn" function that would already be on the Wintech2 or a "reprogramming" function that I would have to subscribe to download?

Last edited:

JP

Dealer cost for calibration: $150
Go-to mechanic cost for calibration: $90

I did find out something from the dealer that didn't make sense to me beforehand:

I had thought that the seat sensor/passenger airbag on/off system was a wasteful thing to have...why not just have the passenger airbag on all the time? After all, if you're an accident where you hit hard enough to trigger the airbag, the car's likely to be totaled or at the very least, what's the additional cost of replacing the passenger side air bag?

But...the dealership guy told me about the weight-triggering limit, which he said if 40 lbs. If a kid less than 40# is sitting in the front seat, the airbag could do more damage to the kid going off than not going off. Makes sense. Also makes sense why the module has to be recalibrated when it is replaced.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I will try to answer this but my knowledge of the nano is limited. But in essence, I (think) it will do re-calibration WITHOUT on line subscription. I may need confirmation on that, but I have a good idea it is in the options.

So I think investing in something like that is well spent.

From what I know, you only go on line with the unit when you need the J2534 capability. To do a seat calibration, no need for that. It is in the SRS options of the scan tool.

And lets say you did need to go online and need the app, it's not that brad, ooops, BAD. For about 40$, you get a full 1 year access for same VIN #.

Obviously, I don't know what you do with your life day in and day out. I get it that you would say ouch for the green unit. But like I said, it is at a fraction of what it used to be. But you may also want to look at the VCX pro. For a hundred $ more, you could get that :money: after 4-5 scans. After a very short time, it literally makes you $$ back.

I know this. After this thread, I am probably going to buy the pro one. https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-PRO-D...HW45MRSMEN7&psc=1&refRID=KSGS0H783HW45MRSMEN7 I did say probably. I am due for an update on my autel 908 pro, and that update is close to a grand. That also is an ouch for me, but I will probably ask my boss to pay for that update, if not I am taking MY tool back home and you/boss/client can foot that bill.

I would like your advice on that. Should I pay for updates on a tool I bought and get no rent for? My boss charges 40$ per scan. I scan maybe 2-3 vehicles per day of not more, I just averaged that out quickly in my head.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
And yes, that seat thing is for security. Because that thing may tear the head off a child. Ok, maybe an exaggeration. But it will do damage that you don't want down the road.

I once saw a client come to mopar shop very disfigured. Airbag pooped on him for no reason while driving to church at 43km per hr. At that time, I was using a DRB III. There is even a DRB 3 emulator if you do a lot of mopar. Imagine if that passenger one popped in his grand child's face. Explain that one to mom. :eek::oops::money::money::money::money::money::giveup:

But I have been following you for a while now and you mostly do GM's. But sometimes, you do look at other cars of other makes.

Mind you, I am not trying to force you to buy something you won't use, but you seem to be doing the math for me, and coming to same conclusion. This would be a nick addition to your toolbox.

My goal here is merely to TRY to educate with the best of my knowledge. Sometimes hampered by negative. Trying hard to curb that. ;)

Only thing the VCX pro does not seem to support is mopar. Oh, and kia and others I really hate working on.

One option I like, injector coding. But that will need a bit of time before you get to that stage, but the tool will do it.

Very useful for common rail systems, and we are seeing more and more of those in the aftermarket. A must in my humble $.02

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Had this KIA at the shop the other day though. What a beast of a korean car. They call it a stinger. All I had to say when I got in the car was "holy shyte!!". Koreans are getting ballsy. The guy said it was the 650 or 700hp one. When I opened the hood. I kind of got the picture and couldn't keep myself from revving it to see cut off. Co-workers magically put on ear muffs and yelled, here he goes again.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The color gave me a bit of a bored look, but if this was in metallic blue, I may think twice before spitting on the floor on this one.

Anyway, service minder light, client is nowhere near an open kia stealership. So, as you see, we are seeing brand new cars in aftermarkets shops. When we gave the keys back, client said what else do I owe. We said nothing. Good to go.

Aftermarket oil cartridge and oil meet or excceed OEM. Here is the receipt and sue us if your engine fails. He asked, don't you need to reset my trip PCM?

I said yeah, it's already done. He is now a client for life. If every client was like this guy, I would be in tech heaven. But I did need my bi directional scanner to see certain things. Not something you can do with a walmart scanner.

So here is me doing the math.

Dude just wants the reminder message to go away. KIA ask over a 100$ for an oil change and reset procedure is extra according to him. What a rip off. .

I cleared his message, got great oil in there. April oil no less. Final cost was under 70$. He actually showed me what he paid for his last oil change, 187$. What???

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So, if you have a car that really needs this sort of investment, it will most likely pay for itself after one or 2 needs, the VCX I mean.

Just make sure you order the package that meets your needs on amazon. Do the research and read the fine print. You should get satisfaction without having to buy a high end scanner such as us techs who work on this stuff day in and day out.

If this was available back in the day, I know a lot of dealers that would have closed doors. Now they are attacking the aftermarket in a huge way, and the only thing keeping them at bay is the OBD2 nafta agreements. Once 5g hits, all of this is up for grabs.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW, trump is not helping on that one in the peace dept. I just can't wait for some russian to hack his twitter account and just get this guy off the air. He is one major contradiction after the other.

Even when I post whilst drunk, I think I sound and think better than this baby spoon fed baboon. I will probably get grief for that, but heck, I live in canada. Try to find me. :cool: Oh, and opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, even him.

Last edited:

JP

And yes, that seat thing is for security. Because that thing may tear the head off a child. Ok, maybe an exaggeration. But it will do damage that you don't want down the road.

My goal here is merely to TRY to educate with the best of my knowledge. Sometimes hampered by negative. Trying hard to curb that. ;)

$.02
Much appreciated advice.

Yeah, in this last election, I voted against one of the candidates, not for the other. ;)

Yes dealer is a much more expensive route

I called a few places and this is the price I got in my area

Dealer cost for calibration: $220
Go-to mechanic cost for calibration: $75

Honestly I am so confused of what OBD2 scanner I should get I keep visiting sites like https://obd2scannerguide.com/ but not sure if it will be compatible with my auto

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Honestly I am so confused of what OBD2 scanner I should get I keep visiting sites like https://obd2scannerguide.com/ but not sure if it will be compatible with my auto

I will try to answer that once you tell me which car you have. Because scanner/software/hardware will change according to manufacturer.

If not, you stick on buying a high-end scanner that does them all like my pro ones at work. But there are work arounds, but I can't help put a proper price tag and good info without the make/yr of your car.

But the best answer I can give you, is I have no idea until I know what "auto" you want to fix. If you call your vehicle an "auto, I am sure guessing you are not from the north american region. Am I correct in this assumption?

If so, I can still help you. These sorts of questions are a hobby of mine.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
One thing you want for sure is something that is bi-directional.

SO something else than an elm 327 is needed here as a j2534 protocol will only work if you don't have a high end scanner that has that already incorporated into the frame ware.

Lets say you have a ford, europe or american, you need something like this link will show. Read carefully the article in this forums. It is very informative.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=867

If your local mechanic can do that for 75$, that means he has a high end scanner and what he is asking for is MORE than adequate. If your goal is to do that your self, the first investment will go at least over 400$

But you will have this for future use and in the long run, you will benefit. That is, if your goal is to do it yourself and learn. Learning and saving do not always go hand in hand. But learning is always future proof. Even if the tech changes, it doesn't mean you can not follow new trends as they come along since the bases were covered in the learning process. This trade involves investment.

My mother was a secretary. Never saw her having to go to working lugging tools. Only her lunch and nail polish and lipstick. I quickly found out that lipstick and nail polish sometimes cost more than tools once my real first GF came along and we had same bank account. :eek:

Jokes aside, the reality is, being a mechanic or tradesman, COMPLETELY WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY. Lipstick doesn't fix cars or trucks or jet planes. And tools do wear out, much like lipstick. But I don't think a secretary will ever spend as much as, for example, a tech like me to get the job done.

So if your confused, totally normal. The more you get into complicated stuff such a occupant seat calibrations and such, a 15$ elm 327 will not do it. Unless you learn coding and some serious tech skills to make your own.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
One of the worst things a company can do to confuse ppl is false representation.

A scanner is NOT a code reader. Vice versa is the same. All scanners cannot reprogram, they need j2534 protocol capability to do that.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I hope my attempts to answer tonyobd newbie did not confuse further. That was the least of what I wanted to do.

But yes, this realm of the auto industry is indeed confusing to the non-initiated.