Rough cold start '98 Mercury Mistique 2.5 L v6

Discussion in 'Domestics' started by jjdrewski, Dec 4, 2010.

1. jjdrewski

jjdrewski Sr. Member

Glad the site is back, but my old posts on this topic seem to be lost. The problem was a rough engine, misses, shaking on cold start any time of year. All kinds of fixes were offered. I noticed that the rpm at startup never seemed to get as high as my two other cars of various makes. With 90K miles, I wondered what would prevent the startup rpm from rising into the mid teens and also cause rough running. Guessing that the ECM is pumping a rich mixture through the injectors for the start, I figured the idle air control must have to open up more for the start than for any other cause-like A/C or elecrical demand. Maybe the valve was binding at higher openings. So, knowing I would break a few of the nearby vacuum tubing, I got a foot of silicon model airplane fuel line from my shop and proceded to remove the IAS motor and clean it out. A half teaspoon of carbon grit came out until it was clean. Reassembled, patched the vac lines, and started it up at initial 1600 rpm idling down to a smooth 600 rpm no skips!! fixed! I thank you all once again for the background info leading me to this fix. Happy Holidays! PS I wonder where all the carbon came from--its supposed to be filtered intake air!

2. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

I'm pretty sure the carbon is because oil returned to the intake by the PCV line back-streams all the way back to the TB and further; even though the general air flow is "the other way".

3. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

Diagnostic tech
    Might want to soak some carb cleaner in that area and empty a can of the same stuff through a pre-throttle body hose at idle. May make some heavy smoke while and after cleaning, just go beat the sh%t out of the car after cleaning. I have never used seafoam, but some ppl here seem to really like that stuff. My own mixture is mopar combustion chamber cleaner in liquid form mixed 1pt cleaner for 3 pts gas. Engine after cleaning comes out really pristine inside. Again do not do this in a closed space, need lots of ventilation or a gas mask. :ROFL