Make
Pontiac
Model
Torrent
Year
Miles
Engine
3.4L
Just rotated the tires...they were corroded onto the rotors and I had to whack the crap out of them to get them off. But that's not the problem.

Now I have a "Service Stabilitrack" indicator on in the IP. Tried turning the stabilitrack on and off. No go. No codes set.

What's my next step?

JP

So here's a question....I have an actron ABS scanner. Would that help me narrow it down to what wheel might be giving me stabilitrak issues?

grcauto

So here's a question....I have an actron ABS scanner. Would that help me narrow it down to what wheel might be giving me stabilitrak issues?
Yes...more than likely a speed sensor got messed up. Look at all four wheels together if that scanner will do that. Going down a straight road look at them and see if one is off from the others. It should set a code though.

JP

I also disconnected and reconnected the battery (took out the battery support/box in order to access the upper radiator hose. Could that have anything to do with it? Again, no codes set and everything else electrical seems to be working correctly.

Dang, I hate it when something breaks just when you've completed a repair and are feeling pretty good about yourself. :confused:

JP

Hmmmm.

I did temporarily disconnect the EGR valve connector to pull off the engine cover to access the bleed valve for the cooling system.

Says here that the EGR valve could cause the issue:

There were a couple codes set...but I did disconnect the battery...didn't write them down, but the codes didn't reset after everything was hooked back up.

And yes, I cleared the codes. Lesson learned.

grcauto

Sounds like you are good to go. I've learned, only by not doing it, It being.... to write down all codes before removing the battery or pulling fuses etc.

JP

To clarify, no codes stored but the Service Stabilitrak message is still on the IP.

I think I'll drive it around for a couple of ignition cycles and see if it self-corrects as well as trying the Actron ABS scanner.

JP

Started it up, message gone.

I didn't touch the wheels. So...could it have been the EGR unplugging and replugging?

Could someone explain the link between the EGR and StabilitraK? Makes no sense.

grcauto

Started it up, message gone.

I didn't touch the wheels. So...could it have been the EGR unplugging and replugging?

Could someone explain the link between the EGR and StabilitraK? Makes no sense.
I can't understand or conceive why EGR would be involved in any way with the stabililtrak system. If the Stabilitrak system used engine vacuum for something....then maybe.....That's the only real effect of EGR is on intake vacuum. It's how the computer can test it's flow. The ECM commands the valve on and expects a certain change in the intake manifold vacuum and if the change is to little you'll get the code for "EGR low flow". Is there any part of that Stabilitrak system that uses or is connected to the intake? I've never seen one.
Where did you find this info an egr causing this?
I went back and watched that video again. It would be nice had he told us the connection between the valve and the Stabilitrak system. If there actually is a problem it may be due to a programming error and they may have a TSB on the problem and if so there should be a flash available.
Try looking for TSB's on this. I can't think of how these two systems would be related.

Last edited:

JP

Where did you find this info an egr causing this?
I googled it and there's a number of posts suggesting some sort of link. My uneducated guess is that it's a software glitch.

In any case, I have to change the plugs and wires soon, and so have to disconnect the EGR to get the plastic engine cover off. If it triggers the Stabilitrak light, I'll post a reply.