Shadetree FWBearing replacement on 85 Dodge Lancer

jjdrewski

??? I'm thinking about replacing a front wheel bearing on our 1985 Dodge Lancer fwd. If I get the tools to press the bearings on the car, is it something I can do at home with fair to good skills and a 1/2 inch socket set? What size socket do I need to get the hub nut off? The bearing failed after a year, but the shop couldn't id which side until 2 years went by. He's willing to replace it gratis but I don't feel right making the shop eat the labor. He's gonna get the part covered. Thanks.

I aways remove the hole thing and take it to a press to press in and out.
A all data sub upper right top of this page will led you threw it.
Crunch

jjdrewski

Crunch: Thanks for responding. I have the subscription, but don't have a press. I could take it to a shop I suppose. Main concern is getting the axel nut off and the axel spine out from the hub. Comments?

Big socket and air wrench or big breaker bar and a big punch and big hammer will do the job.
Putting it back on requires a big torque wrench.
Good luck
Crunch

jjdrewski

Crunch: You are quoted to say OEM parts are best. True for MOPAR fwbs? I've had terrible luck with fwbs using SKF, Timkin, and Ford. Even had to replace an original on my 30000 mile Avalon Toyota. Aside from the Avalon, is there a tendency for shops to use a hammer when pushing the assembled bearing/spindleflange into the hub? Or is the lube used in the replacements second rate? As I said, it was only a year before the Lancer started to growl. Later.

BCA and National make good wheel bearing.
Just stay away from the cheap 90 day wanders.
And yes proper installation is the key.
Check with you dodge dealer and see what brand OEM is. :ROFL
Wheel bearing is one place after market parts are as good as oem or sometimes the same.
Good luck
Crunch

A side note.
Cry started using some jap bearings in there transmissions way back in eary 60.
But it was a big mistake.
Just stay with a good major brand of wheel bearing.

jjdrewski

Thanks Crunch. It may be a while---at least until its more than 10 degrees F under my shadetree.