JP

Make
Pontiac
Model
Torrent
Year
Miles
Engine
Just had my Torrent in for service. Yeah, I know...control arm bushings, stabilizer bar links and transaxle coolant lines are not a big deal...but it's cold out and I don't want to be cold.

Anyway, to my question: I'm pretty sure the rear shocks have a lifetime warranty, but when does leaking oil become an issue if they're still functional? Likely I'll wait until spring to replace them unless they fail in the meantime.

I consider shock oil to be comparable to engine oil. One quart low matters very little. Two quarts low, still OK. Three quarts low, start to suck some air when you accelerate. Do you see where this is going?

billr

wrench
Staff member
How do you drive this thing? I have driven vehicles with no shocks, they aren't all that necessary from a safety standpoint if you aren't playing boy-racer. I would wait until it is warm again.

JP

How do you drive this thing? I have driven vehicles with no shocks, they aren't all that necessary from a safety standpoint if you aren't playing boy-racer. I would wait until it is warm again.

I do my boy-racer thing in my Solstice. ;)

JP

I consider shock oil to be comparable to engine oil. One quart low matters very little. Two quarts low, still OK. Three quarts low, start to suck some air when you accelerate. Do you see where this is going?
Each shock holds three plus quarts?

;)

grcauto

Each shock holds three plus quarts?
he
;)
I have no idea what he is talking about with the no problems with a quart low and comparing with an engine. I think he is either joshing with you or mixed this post with something else. Leaking doesn't mean it needs immediate attention but I would tend to it before you ruin a good tire or worse. If you have cupping on that tire you might want to fix it soon. Is it bouncy on that side?

JP

Shocks are working fine. I'm pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty, but will have to check. This garage is trustworthy; they said as long as they're working OK, no problem, but leaking is an indication that they might start to go bad sooner than later.

Website
www.facebook.com
From a technical side here in NJ school bus inspection, if there is any evidence of weeping oil on a shock it is an immediate out of service until replaced for the vehicle so I think it is important to someone! On a personal level of my own vehicles no big deal if weeping, leaking is another story especially if one side is bad and the other side is good

grcauto

From a technical side here in NJ school bus inspection, if there is any evidence of weeping oil on a shock it is an immediate out of service until replaced for the vehicle so I think it is important to someone! On a personal level of my own vehicles no big deal if weeping, leaking is another story especially if one side is bad and the other side is good
Can't be having those children bouncing around in the bus. What's that.....Seat belts.....We don't need them.....Yeah> Right. YIKES

grcauto

Well now.....who says nothing good ever comes from Jersey.....Maybe they were talking about the kids with their knives...LOL