Slow cranking

Friday

I am so much a non-user of digital audio/video that I don't know what I can use. If it is a link that I can click on, fine. On yours, doing that took me to a TWAIN thing, then an app store (another unknown to me), then some music pics that had nothing to do with your cranking. You are dealing here with a guy that doesn't have a cell-phone and has never used an ATM...
Bill, try this file.

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
No, that didn't work. Maybe because I was prompted to sign up for something from MicroS, and didn't want to. There was another option offered, but it just barfed up a blank screen.

Yes, all the hardware is in place. I have heard sound in many audio/video postings, but only those that kind of run "automatic". Youtube usually works fine.

Friday

No, that didn't work. Maybe because I was prompted to sign up for something from MicroS, and didn't want to. There was another option offered, but it just barfed up a blank screen. Yes, all the hardware is in place. I have heard sound in many audio/video postings, but only those that kind of run "automatic". Youtube usually works fine.
Okay, we'll forget that. I checked my scanner. It's not a scanner, just a simple OBDII code reader.

Friday

No, that didn't work. Maybe because I was prompted to sign up for something from MicroS, and didn't want to. There was another option offered, but it just barfed up a blank screen. Yes, all the hardware is in place. I have heard sound in many audio/video postings, but only those that kind of run "automatic". Youtube usually works fine.
Bill: MP3, MPG, WAV, PCM and WMA are all different types of media files. MP3 is the most common nowadays. Your computer will probably play WAV files fine, but this site does not allow uploading of that type of file. I might be able to "trick" this site into believing I am uploading a text file, but you would then have to save the file to your computer, then rename it, then click on it to play it.

Friday

Okay, I created a YouTube video. Try this:

billr

wrench
Staff member
That's your engine (starting sound, not the picture)? It sounds OK to me, but kind of hard to tell the cranking speed since it fires so quickly.

On the ELM, no probably not viable for OBD1. I forgot this was a '94. There are other options, though, that don't require the big $$ of an official Tech1. Since this is a Chevy, it is well supported by the hobbyists and aftermarket.

Bill: Your computer should automatically play it with the default- built in Windows Media player. I listened to it and it sounded perfectly normal to me. But the starter ran a very short time prior start up so it was hard to tell.

Friday: Another sound file with the engine unable to start would be better to listen to.

Friday

I listened to it and it sounded perfectly normal to me. But the starter ran a very short time prior start up so it was hard to tell.
Friday: Another sound file with the engine unable to start would be better to listen to.
Here's one with the fuel pump disabled.

billr

wrench
Staff member
That doesn't sound particularly slow to me; I would call it "normal cranking".

Friday

Bill and Jack: Thank you for the input. I've only owned one other 350, so wasn't sure. As usual, I learned a lot from the experience and from this site.

Now on to the next item, fresh air door actuator is bad (thumping). Have unplugged the culprit to stop the noise, now to get it off the truck. I'll post a new thread if I run into problems.

:fixed: