smoke machine

©hester

Hello all,

Anyone have any experience with the Stringer PRO 2 Smoke Machine? Is it worth the $135.00 on eBay?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Only thing I can say is, it will probably do what it is supposed to do for a very short time. The actual smoke machine may surprise you. But the rest of the kit is garbage. Much like the above link I posted about the one I use weekly.

The adapters suck. Constantly making my own, so my trustworthy kit is getting bigger, but the smoke canister rocks. The one your looking at also looks to be tuff. But it has no gradient indicator to tell you which kind of leak you have. That is an option you may want to consider if your going to be fixing evap codes. Some leaks are lower than others and just seeing that on the indicator cuts your diagnostic time down alot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stinger-EV...nostic-Leak-Detector-Tester-NEW-/152246518471

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My BS honest opinion, the canistor looks worth it. Don`t expect much of the rest. Will end up replacing the bat clips, leads, chinsy plastic adapters.

Lets be honest, you only want a machine that produces smoke at very low psi. Notice the bbq regulator!!

:eek:

So that is what your buying for 140$.

I would buy it, throw out the rest of the kit. Make my own much like I did, and move on. That smoke canistor, again, looks bullet proof. The rest; not really

grcauto

Those homemade smoke machines are not very good. There's no way to see the volume of air moving so you can't even be sure you have a leak at the pressure you are at and size or volume of the leak. They are made out of junk. The regulators are usually very inaccurate and can mess you up. Also they have very few adapters for plumbing into the system. You will be hard pressed to find a small leak with one of these and I've heard some horror stories of the regulators failing and putting enough pressure into the system to break the seams of the canister. Other than that the price seems about right if it's under $100. Would never have it as a tool to use at a professional shop.

©hester

Those homemade smoke machines are not very good. There's no way to see the volume of air moving so you can't even be sure you have a leak at the pressure you are at and size or volume of the leak. They are made out of junk. The regulators are usually very inaccurate and can mess you up. Also they have very few adapters for plumbing into the system. You will be hard pressed to find a small leak with one of these and I've heard some horror stories of the regulators failing and putting enough pressure into the system to break the seams of the canister. Other than that the price seems about right if it's under $100. Would never have it as a tool to use at a professional shop.
I was in the process of making one. I had a paint can, a propane regulator and some fittings. Couldn't seem to find a heating element. I have heard that EVAP systems must stay below 2 psi.

grcauto

I was in the process of making one. I had a paint can, a propane regulator and some fittings. Couldn't seem to find a heating element. I have heard that EVAP systems must stay below 2 psi.
I thought about making my own several years ago and after figuring everything I would need to build it so it was reliable and could be used on most vehicles I determined my best coarse of action was to buy a good one and be done with it. It would be a nice plan for going into the market with manufacturing and sales but not a wise move just to make one.