Make
Pontiac
Model
Solstice GXP
Year
Miles
Engine
2.0 Turbo
Just bought a 2007 Solstice GXP and heard about a dealer installed upgrade for the turbo...about $650 or so that's a flash upgrade and different MAP sensor. Is this something that I can install myself and have the local mechanic do a flash upgrade on the software?

I'll check around to see if there's a good Solstice forum, but I thought I'd ask the experts first. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I don't see why you would install that GM dealer installed, the car is no longer under warranty, there are many other companies that just copied what gm did and offer the same upgrade for half that price.

It was very popular back when I was working for gm, cuz they warrantied the car. Now, who cares.

Google gave me trifecta tune and ames, same mod, map sensor and dongle to flash the software upgrade. Price is lower. 298$ for the software and EZ loader dongle no MAP. 398$ with MAP. I honestly think the stock map can stay there and the flash is enough to impress you.

Here is link to their sites. The gm upgrade map can probably be got for cheap on e-bay. Since this stay stage 1, I wouldn't worry about any damage. If going to stage two, then you will have to modify other stuff. But stage 1 is still good, the boost on torque is quite impressive.

https://www.rpm-motorsports.com/store/p188/pontiac-solstice-gxp-stage-1-performance-tune

https://www.trifectaperformance.com/forums/store/product/584-2007-2009-pontiac-solstice-20l-turbo/

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The ames rpm site actually states that you do NOT need to use the general motors protection plan MAP sensor, the stock one is fine. That is what I remember the guys doing, but they had to buy the MAP to keep warranty. Those who didn't care, they didn't install the GMPP MAP and they got same results with the tune flash.

JP

Thanks for the links. In either case, I'd need to have someone do a flash upgrade, correct?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If you go to the trifecta link, you will see they provide the ezflash cable that plugs into your obd2 port and the other end to your laptop via usb. The tune software is included and I guarantee you it is just a reversed engineered copy of the code that GM did back in the early years of the sky and solstice.

Like I said before, you can keep the OEM map sensor, but if you feel safer, buy the stage 1 GMPP map sensor if you feel like it.

Then again, other options open up also. If you were willing to spend 600$ for the OEM stage one, AMES rpm site sells a stage 2 tune file with obd2 interface tuner for 700$.

https://www.rpm-motorsports.com/sto...us-stage-2-tune-file-solstice-gxp-sky-redline

But for that, you must be willing to spend the extra $ to fill up with e47 91octane. But with that kit, you get both files so you can switch back to the e45 file for regular crappy gas whenever you want.

Basically, what I am trying to say, is your spending $ for a VCM. Which is a vehicle communication module. Most of these are designed by drew tech who basically invented the aftermarket VCM's and also manufacture some of the OEM ones also.

The one from the rpm site is basically a mongoose vcm made by drew tech, but with a chip inside which is proprietary to trifecta for the solstice and sky tune files.

This reminds of back in the day when nissan sold those kick ass skylines. They said it only had 280ish or so HP. But the minute those came off the lot, the guys would flash the ecm and get astounding numbers out of that "B" engine stock. :eek: