Stall/no start issue

abrad

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Nissan
MODEL:Titan
YEAR:2005
MILES:
ENGINE:8 cylinder
DESCRIBE ISSUE....hi guys, happy thanksgiving!
So, last night my neighbor down the road had his truck stall out in front of my house. Cranks just fine, just won't start. Every once in a while it will stutter, but won't catch. I tried spraying some carb and choke cleaner into the throat, but no start. Couldn't get into too much testing as it was parked in the road at 9pm, and it was a touch chilly out! My first thought was electrical, but with the occasional stutter, I'm thinking not.

Don't know anything else about this vehicle, just wondering if you have any ideas...

Thanks in advance!

Basics-
scan for codes even if CEL is off.
Fuel pressure is a place to start on any injected engine.
Have spark at several cylinders?
>> then look at injector, ck for 12v and pulses*.
>> 8 coils SO all bad at once is unlikely*

SWAG- there are codes- this is a good OBD system. only fuel pressure would slip past sensors and FT's would skew...

billr

wrench
Staff member
Pull plugs (at least one) to check for condition, wetness with fuel, and check compression. It may be too rich to fire, even with carb-cleaner. As always, live-data can save a lot of time guessing out there in the cold.

abrad

Thanks guys. The irony to this story is that my neighbor was leaving on vacation yesterday, so the truck will be sitting for a while! Once he gets back, we can troubleshoot some.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I find this hard to believe that no codes are stored, but hey, continue to diagnose.

A no start condintion from a toyata will almost if not always give a code. Those will be seen in the pending or memory codes. Many ppl miss diagnose by erasing codes too soon and not getting the drift of the data that was stored at the time of the event.

Toyota uses a very different algorythme than the big three.

Verify that the main fuel relay is clicking. That will cut your diagnosis time in half.

abrad

I find this hard to believe that no codes are stored, but hey, continue to diagnose.

A no start condintion from a toyata will almost if not always give a code. Those will be seen in the pending or memory codes. Many ppl miss diagnose by erasing codes too soon and not getting the drift of the data that was stored at the time of the event.

Toyota uses a very different algorythme than the big three.

Verify that the main fuel relay is clicking. That will cut your diagnosis time in half.

Hi Nick! I don't "know" that there aren't any codes stored, just that he said the CEL wasn't on. I wasn't to keen on doing diagnostics in the middle of the road, at 9pm, in 30 degree Fahrenheit (that would be about 0 degrees Celsius) temps. Ironically, I "tried" listening for the fuel pump to kick on, but with the traffic couldn't tell if it was charging or not. Right now he is down in sunny Florida (80 degrees when he arrived ) and won't be back till late next week. I've been kicking around a few ideas myself, and just wanted to get some more input from the group, either confirming I'm on the right track or possibly coming up with something else entirely that I'm not even thinking about (the gray matter IS getting grayer!!!). My first thought was fuel pump related, and I tried looking for the port to hook up my fuel pressure gauge, but in the dark with just a flashlight it wasn't being found.

Once he gets back, and I've had a chance to look at it in better conditions, I will post back. Until then, if anyone else has run into something similar, or has any thoughts, please don't hesitate to let me know!

did not say no codes - comment was CEL not on.
Its a Nissan not a Toyota,
:confused: Nick maybe to many stiff ones with the boys in the north.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ha, yup, it's a nissan.

Maybe a few cold ones too many. Not much else to do up here in our down time. Still trying to find a cheap sled for fun. Anyway, no start flow chart usually is as said above from the other guys. Fuel, air, spark.

I have a no start on the lift right now. Got fed up with it. The codes are P0354 and a P0600. I just installed a new engine, well a used new one.

So I got off early today. I hate working 6 days a week. Ignition primary circuit "D" and a PCM internal fault. I don't like were this is heading.

Added bonus, I toasted the starter trying to start the engine that had been sitting in a shed for years. This is the sort of work I don't like. Fixing other ppls diagnosis. I inherited this job from the previous mechanic.

Anyway, getting off track, Alldata says 51psi at idle for this NISSAN. I could not find a static fuel pressure reading, maybe someone else here can get that to you.

I have never really had the luxery of having to diagnose one of these trucks, not many of them where I live. I may be wrong, but I think this may be a banjo fitting, if it is, be sure to have some spare o-rings just in case. I read that there is a quick disconnect, here is a snapshot.

Screenshot (26).png