Chevy
Model
Trax
Year
Miles
20K ish?
Engine
whatever came with it
My kid is going overseas for a semester and is leaving his 2015 Chevy Trax here for the fall, winter and next spring (Michigan). It will be covered outside in a carport and have a car cover, but no access to electricity to keep on a trickle charger.

I plan on starting it up every couple weeks and taking it around the block a couple times to keep the battery charged.

Any other considerations?

The other option is to pull the battery and take it to my house to maintain it on a trickle charge and just let it sit through the winter.

Michigan - that adds to the mix, lets get talking about this.

Ideally use it, maybe every other Sunday to church, but I would think getting it moving regularly as opposed to sitting all that time- rolling the tires, the rotors, wheel seals getting some oil , etc etc...

Talk to auto insurance agent - Awhile ago When I deployed this type of policy was common.

this is CONFUSING - sentence grammar
"The other option is to pull the battery and take it to my house to maintain it on a trickle charge and just let it sit through the winter."

"Grammar and Capitalisation is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

grcauto

It shouldn't have any problem if you run it every week or two. A good battery will keep everything alive for that long even in tough Michigan winters. I live in Davison east of Flint.

JP

Michigan - that adds to the mix, lets get talking about this.

this is CONFUSING - sentence grammar
"The other option is to pull the battery and take it to my house to maintain it on a trickle charge and just let it sit through the winter."

"Grammar and Capitalisation is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."
"Grammar and Capitalisation..."

How about spelling? LOL. "Capitalization", perhaps? ;)

"...and just let the car sit through the winter" Better?

And BTW, I'm a veterinarian and used to work with breeding horses so....yeah, that was part of the job, LOL.

Anyhow, yeah, it'll be cold in Michigan during this coming winter and the battery will need to be kept charged in one way or another. In regard to insurance, I had a different car in a similar situation last year. In that case, it was stored on the same property (senior apartments). I kept theft and damage insurance on it, but not collision or PIPD. Probably took a bit of a risk to drive it around the building a couple times, even though it was on private property. All I had to do was call the insurance company to add PIPD for the day that I was driving it, and it would have been charged pro-rata for those days, but for whatever reason, didn't do it.

Any advice on a car-cover? I had one for this previous car and it was OK but would like recommendations on a specific supplier.

Last edited:
I used to use car covers. But now I feel they can do as much damage as good and simply wash the vehicle often. Not worth the expense and trouble for me.

JP

I'd prefer not to use a car cover, but the assigned spot in the carport drips this white residue...not sure if it's bird poo mixed with rainwater or if it's some by-product of corrosion of the carport roof, but it's difficult to get off the paint when it's been sitting there. For the most part, the carport does it's job in keeping rain and snow off...other than the leak.