Surges at idle

kettle

Yard machine by M T D. B&S 17 hp twin II. Engine surges at idle and will stop running if I hold the throttle to idle screw. What is the cause of this and how do I test and repair it? Thanks Kettle

you have a low mix problem.check to see if the carb has a low mixtue screw on the side.it may have a limiter cap on it.it is located below the idle speed screw.you may need to open it up a little.i sometimes remove the screw and shoot carb cleaner through it.then replace the screw ,bottom out and turn out 1 1/2 turns.you can also drop the fuel bowl and check for dirt..give it a try.

kettle

Carb has no low mix. screw. Fuel bowl looks clean. Cleaned with carb. cleaner anyway. I can stop surging by closing choke part way, so this means I have air-fuel mixture problem at idle. There are 3 sall holes in top of carb. I can spray cleaner into these with a straw and the engine will idle ok for a while., but it will surge again 10 to 30 min. later. Is my only choice a carb. kit or is there something else I can try? I have sprayed start fluid all around carb and intake, but no air leak was indicated. Kettle

other than soaking the carb in cleaner overnight and rebuilding it.you may have to go with a carb.probably a blockage internally in the carb.try blowing compressed air through all the ports?if you get a kit it will have the plugs in the kit.removing them from the carb will reveal tiny ports that get glogged.not sure if that carb has them without a picture of it.

kettle

Thanks, I will remove carb. clean and install kit. Will let you know the results.
Kettle

kettle

I removed the carb, cleaned it with carb cleaner. It works fine now. Thanks for the help.
Kettle fixed