Toyota Camry 2000 16,000 5S-FE 4 cyl

Discussion in 'Import Vehicles' started by chevyfan, Feb 11, 2017.

?

water pump quit $2000 bill for repair but water pump not a listed item..sound OK?

1. normal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. not normal

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. nickb2

nickb2 Wrench. I help when I can

northern car tech
    Not to sound like an a hole, but some one hit that car very hard for it to quit like that @ 1600.

:eek:

2. nickb2

northern car tech
    Anyway, chevy fan, hope you get it back in working order, you will do another 20yr easy if all the proper maintenance is done.

Those cars won car of the year back then for 5 yrs straight. Thats why, like I said before, every one in my family has a toy.

Warpath likes this.
  3. billr

billr wrench Staff Member

Nickb2, I think you are losing a decimal-point there, OP says 16K, not 1600. Regardless, that is a way early failure for any make/model.

From how I read it, the engine may have seized from over-heating. If that is the case, then the parts damaged and cost to repair can vary widely, and well into the $2000+ range.

chevyfan likes this.
  4. chevyfan

chevyfan Newbie

16,000 could not imagine 1600 on this one. Not a scratch or dent A/C works so does radio, etc.

5. chevyfan

chevyfan Newbie

The bill was the final bill at $2000.00 anyway our neighbor drove us by the shop and it was dark. a call would have been nice as
    he make a big thing about we had no car to get around this weekend and they are closed sunday. so we would get it today. My
    neighbor said NAPA is a good company so we will wait rather than tow it away and reverse the credit. Just a call.....oh well.

6. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

My take on the story is this....Water pump was noisy, water pump locked up, timing belt got ruined, engine quit running.

Engine is non-interference, no damage to valves. Water pump not listed, it is part of the "timing belt kit".

7. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

I can't claim to know all details, but it is likely the the head will not need to be removed at all to get your car running again. You may be getting overcharged in that regard.

8. nickb2

northern car tech
    Ok, not to be an a hole, did loose a decimal point, but even at 16000, way to premature.

But it is a 2000. So I understand.

9. chevyfan

chevyfan Newbie

That is good to know as a kit IS part of the order. In fact, charges are:

Labor:
    Remove & replace cylinder head gasket...........................................................................................................650.00
    Remove valve cover to inspect for damage.......................................................................................................100.00
    Replace cylinder valves.............................................................................................................................................00
    Replace timing belt............................................................................................................................................390.00

Parts:
    Head Gasket set.................................................................................................................................................209.95
    Machine Shop Fee..............................................................................................................................................250.00
    Timing Belt Kit...................................................................................................................................................329.95
    Valve Kit.............................................................................................................................................................120.00

That's it. Got a AAA discount of $212 and plus tax of $74.16. and shop fee of 1.00, came to 1913.06.
    Thanks to all of you for your input. Going to a strange shop can be daunting especially when not a mechanic.

Glad to hear the water pump would be part of the Timing Belt Kit, which is listed. when we go to pick up the car,
    I will be asking what the final verdict was as to what happened and I do intend to ask for the old parts. I did have
    work done years ago on my parents old car after they passed away and was told, at another shop, that they already
    threw all parts away so I could not have them.. That was the year 2000 on a $700.00 bill to check out their car.
    Once I know a mechanic....that does not matter but I feel better when there is no problem giving me the old parts or
    even showing them to me. I grew up knowing many fantastic mechanics over the years and also as a teenager was
    taught to gap and replace spark plugs in my 1957 chevy, and replacing wiring, etc. That was a very very long time ago
    and in another State. A valve kit is part of the above bill. But if I now have a "new" car....okay. It still could use an oil
    change I guess.

will let you know what happens when I do pick the car up and ask for the parts and explanation of what it needed per
    the bill. That way I get their input on what happened as they took apart the engine and saw everything. I do have a
    Toyota place I was going to go to as for years I followed the family and all had great reviews from customers. They are
    great on the phone and I will probably go there if a problem comes up, although I read AAA recommends the company
    I went to and AAA said I will get a 24 month /24,000 miles warranty on all repairs. That may make me use them in the
    future if they do honor that. Usually I do not go back to what was expensive when I honesty don't know what happened.
    Of course, I happened to break down in front of the current place so they helped me out. will be back when I get the car
    and I notice my email gets me caught up with new responses here also. As "Arnold" said, I will be back!

10. billr

Please post what more you find out, I'm curious. Those charges still seem kind of high. Don't get too enthused about having a "new" engine, it doesn't sound like they did anything with the block components (pistons/rings/bearings). What especially caught my eye was $750 to R&R the head gasket. Yes, they split it into doing the head gasket and VC gasket, but the VC always has to be part of doing any head work.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  11. Mobile Dan

Mobile Dan wrench

If you ask why you needed a "valve kit" and they say "because they were bent", you might say "that seems unlikely because this is a non-interference engine". If you ask to see the bent valves, you may be told that those parts are at the machine shop. I would suggest that you look to see if the engine has a fresh head gasket on it, but the head gasket on that engine would be difficult to see. Best thing to look for would be evidence that that big heat shield over the exhaust manifold had been removed. Those bolts are usually covered with rust, and if the rust is intact, the head never went to a machine shop. [​IMG]

12. nickb2

northern car tech
    By law, a tech is always required to either place any thing replaced in the boot of the car. Or if the client doesn't want that, keep the old parts for client to see until the repair order is paid.

I am in total agreement with what Dan wrote. Ask to see the valve seals. That will be proof also that the head was actually redone.
    Me laughing. ;)

13. chevyfan

chevyfan Newbie

now I am nervous. I am not a mechanic and on the cars like this compared to the US cars years ago, I have no idea in the picture where the bolts are.
    This place is recommended by the AAA so I would imagine they would not play games.....but I don't know. When I get nervous, my better half starts screaming at me
    and makes bad situations worse cause he knows 1000% less about cars than I do. and the mechanics I had for friends have passed away years ago so I am just
    out on a limb. If there is a problem getting answers, I may close the deal since I already paid and take the car to a place of mechanics I can trust and ask them what was done to the Toyota...I don't think an opinion would cost much. and I was just ready to get the Monte Carlo over to them. They were recommended years ago and did work on the MC and did a good job...unfortunately I did not break down in front of them. I don't know what else to do....I m alone in this without cooperation in my home. I do appreciate the concern I see here. I will continue this story so you all see an ending when I find it.

I did print out the picture to take with me but it would help if the bolts were circled in ink so I know where all of them are.

14. billr

Bolts, what bolts? I don't recall any previous mention of bolts.

Approach the shop gently, try to convince them you just want to be able to pass on an accurate description of what the problem and fix was. Stress that you won't understand it all, but have a friend/relative that is curious since this was a rather unusual failure (so soon in vehicle life), and there is concern that the car may not be viable to keep for the long-term.

15. chevyfan

chevyfan Newbie

See the above picture of an engine and the accompanying information printed by Mobile Dan. That was about bolts. It is now 11 am here and my neighbor said they should have called by now. sometimes I wonder if they actually work there. They had all day friday on the car and I am afraid if I call, they will say they need more money which I do not have.
    I can get the auto club to bring the car home, assuming it is still there.

I think I will do it the way you said and again ask what all happened and maybe have a different shop of 2 I know to look at the car once I get it, unless those guys don't work there and the car is gone. they did call on the phone to do my credit $2000 as they said their credit card machine didn't work.