Toyota corolla 2003 no crank.

My Toyota corolla does not crank, when i send power to the red wire in the ignition switch it cranks

• it does not crank with the key. just klicking relay behind glove box.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • where is the starter relay ??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Toyota
MODEL:Corolla
YEAR:2002
MILES:167000
ENGINE
:1.8
DESCRIBE ISSUE....no crank

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Also a very common problem is the starter solenoid contacts burn and stick/weld together. Very common on these nippon denso's.

Have someone crank and whilst doing so, hit the starter with a mallet. It may dislodge the contacts. Also, use a test light to see if you have voltage when in start. If voltage is present when in start position, you have ruled out the ignition switch and related wiring etc.

If you have power at ign switch black wire, pin 5, then it seems likely that your problem is a faulty ign switch.
we talk about a toyota corolla from 2002, right.

I checked the starter, the starter works when i apply power to the red wire in the neutral safety switch, but it does not start.
It also cranks but don't start when i apply power to the red wire in the ignition switch plug in.
When i use the key and turn the ignition switch to the ignition position, everything lights up normally on the dash.When i than go to the start position
i hear a clicking from the inside of the glove box like a relay klick.
Help please i need this car to go to work.
Thanks a lot

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do you have a voltmeter? Check the voltage at one of those red wires while you are trying to crank using the switch, when that clicking is happening. It sounds like power to the switch has a poor connection. We need a schematic here, but checking voltage on one of those red wires will greatly reduce the scope of this search.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Oh goody, some RLL (nested relays) in there. Still, checking voltage at the red wire is the place to start. If that isn't battery voltage (about 12V) when trying to crank, then check voltage at the BLK wire going to the ignition switch (terminal 5). Post results.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The more I am reading this, there may be a theft deterrent problem going on. Is there any aftermarket stuff installed or is it stock?

With key on and relay bypassed, can you get it to crank and check to see if spark is present? Do you have access to a scanner?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Dan, I see no previous posts from you in this thread, text or otherwise. Do you supposed it got "hosed", madder than a wet cat and ran away?

Oh goody, some RLL (nested relays) in there. Still, checking voltage at the red wire is the place to start. If that isn't battery voltage (about 12V) when trying to crank, then check voltage at the BLK wire going to the ignition switch (terminal 5). Post results.
There is no power at the red wire in the ignition switch plug. The only wire that is hot is a beige or brown one.

The more I am reading this, there may be a theft deterrent problem going on. Is there any aftermarket stuff installed or is it stock?

With key on and relay bypassed, can you get it to crank and check to see if spark is present? Do you have access to a scanner?
No
Wow...I am certian that the sheematic I posted yesterday was not what is currently showing, and seems to change at will. But I have no time ti fix that, so I wil just suggest you consider only the text I had added..."If you have power at ign switch black wire, pin 5, then it seems likely that your problem is a faulty ign switch." No time for good spellig either...
The black wire inignition switch plug has no power and when i apply 12v to it with my power probe it blows the breaker in my power probe. So i think it is a ground. or it has a dead short.
got no scanner , sorry.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Follow the schematics. I am confused, you say no crank, but later say crank but no start. Please be more specific, because maybe I read you wrong. Here are a few snapshots for a 2002 corrola.
Screenshot (176).png Screenshot (177).png Screenshot (178).png Screenshot (179).png

billr

wrench
Staff member
Horst (OP), can you post a picture showing the terminals on the ignition switch, clear enough to read the numbering? I'm getting more confused as we go along. I was relying on the schematic posted by EricC, but that was for a 2003. However, what NickB2 has posted indicates the 2002-2005 are all similar.

Nickb2, I wish there was a way to read that schematic better, but I don't think it shows the switch, just goes as far as a junction connector. I've blown it up as much as I can, but still can't read it well enough. Looking at some of the other attachments takes me into the weeds deeper... one shows the switch terms, labelled "1,2,3,5", but the text alongside refers to "3,4,7,8". I (and the OP, I hope) appreciate your efforts to provide the info, but I'm wandering here, unable to understand just what we are working with; so unable to help the OP.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Thanks Dan, that confirms it doesn't show the ignition switch at all. I also wish they wouldn't be so cheap with ink, label wires "BLK", "BLU", "BRN" (or BK, BU, BN) and not just "B"!

Edit: Oops, another one popped in from Dan while I was typing! Different term numbers and wire colors than Eric's...

Woo Hoo, finally found the elusive schematic I wanted! Hope iit doesn't morph into something else in a minute. Horst, if you turn key on and then provide power to the crank circuit, will the engine run? If so, you need a new Ignition switch. EDIT: Dang it, it changed again. OK, ignore the image, but read my words and answer my questions, if possible.

Last edited: