Toyota corolla 2003 no crank.

My Toyota corolla does not crank, when i send power to the red wire in the ignition switch it cranks

• it does not crank with the key. just klicking relay behind glove box.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • where is the starter relay ??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The BLK/white wires get hot when powered up? OK, are they both getting hot, or just one of them? I guess I am going to suggest cutting the one that gets hot, and then try to figure out if it is the injector power feed wire (simple), or the "every thing else" wire (complicated).

Some other thoughts....finding the reason for the fat black wire failure may lead to repairing "problems" that haven't been discovered yet. Also, I haven't heard much of a story about the history of this problem...the kind of story like "Everything was fine until..." or "I just bought/was given this car...".

Last edited:
The BLK/white wires get hot when powered up? OK, are they both getting hot, or just one of them? I guess I am going to suggest cutting the one that gets hot, and then try to figure out if it is the injector power feed wire (simple), or the "every thing else" wire (complicated).

Some other thoughts....finding the reason for the fat black wire failure may lead to repairing "problems" that haven't been discovered yet. Also, I haven't heard much of a story about the history of this problem...the kind of story like "Everything was fine until..." or "I just bought/was given this car...".
We own this car for ever 8/9 years. We never had problems with it more than normal. Last year i replaced the AC compressor and this year i had a bad ignition coil cyl#2 i bought a new one at advance autoparts and installed it. Drove the car for another week and it started to run shitty and stalled out. I made it luckily into my driveway (Rolling) but than it would not crank anymore.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Was the damage to the fuse/relay panel there when you bought it 8-9 years ago?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, I am going to be an a$$hole. At least I say it in advance. Did you remove the fuse/relay panel to inspect the wiring and connections under there??

All possible wiring has been provided, there is no doubt you have a problem on main starter circuit and possibly on ignition circuit also. Most often this comes by corrosion or bad repairs done in the past that come and bite you in the a$$.

I miss my multi meter, dropped some beer on the fluke and lost the panel. Damn! Bought a cheap canadian tire model for 20$. Will have to do until I make more $$ to buy a proper DVM.

In my opinion, if the key is in run position, and you can bypass that starter and get it to run, wiring/connector issue. If not, you must investigate the anti theft circuitry which has also been provided. Seeing the looks of that fuse box, I would not be surprised a ECM driver failed due to amp draw from resistance.

I hope you have a printer, just print the schematics and follow the yellow brick road. There is no miracle fix here.

If you don't follow our advice, I do not see how we can help you any further.

Nickb2:beer:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is not rocket science. If NASA put an IBM calculator on the moon, you should be able to check the wiring on this very simple car. Kev2 also put out a very comprehensive schematic. I feel you have all you need.

Now it is up to you to look up the word assiduous.

assiduous

Also found in: Legal.
as·sid·u·ous
(ə-sĭj′o͞o-əs)
adj.
Showing or characterized by persistent attention or untiring application: an assiduous worker who strove for perfection; did assiduous research before writing the book. See Synonyms at diligent.
[From Latin assiduus, from assidēre, to attend to : ad-, ad- + sedēre, to sit; see sed- in Indo-European roots.]
as·sid′u·ous·ly adv.
as·sid′u·ous·ness n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
assiduous
(əˈsɪdjʊəs)
adj
1. hard-working; persevering: an assiduous researcher.
2. undertaken with perseverance and care: assiduous editing.
[C16: from Latin assiduus sitting down to (something), from assidēre to sit beside, from sedēre to sit]
asˈsiduously adv asˈsiduousness n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
as•sid•u•ous
(əˈsɪdʒ u əs)

adj.
1. constant; unremitting: assiduous reading.
2. working diligently at a task; persevering; industrious: an assiduous student.
[1530–40; < Latin assiduus=assid(ēre) to sit near]
as•sid′u•ous•ly, adv.
as•sid′u•ous•ness, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Adj.
assiduous - marked by care and persistent effort; "her assiduous attempts to learn French"; "assiduous research"; "sedulous pursuit of legal and moral principles"
sedulous
diligent - characterized by care and perseverance in carrying out tasks; "a diligent detective investigates all clues"; "a diligent search of the files"

billr

wrench
Staff member
Calm down, Nickb2. The most complete schematic posted in this thread so far only shows where one of those suspect BLK/WHT wires goes to; power to the fuel-pump relay. Maybe I missed one posted by kev2, but I just browsed the whole thread again and didn't see any.

I think we are all in agreement that the problem is probably in that damaged fuse/relay panel, so Nickb2 is "right on" insisting that panel must be opened up for inspection. I feel certain that if we do get more complete schematics, both those BLK/WHT wires are going to be shown going back into that panel.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Bill, I have wracked my head on trying to find more complete schematics. I am calm now. HiHi. BTW, my Dad has just published an E-book, I will send you a link when I get the freebie link so you won`t have to spend $$. It is about Brazilian Jujitsu.

I am either in the weeds, cuz this connector view does not resemble the photo that the op showed in high def. Screenshot (218).png Screenshot (219).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, my head hurts, this type of internet trouble shooting is hard to do when you don`t have the car under your thumb.

Pretty plz, dismantle that fuse box and use that high def picture taker to show us the underside of the box. It separates in two also, I would like to see whats going on there.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yeah, good point nickb2, one that I have overlooked: the pictures of the panel posted by OP are way different from the diagrams you have in your data base. Does anybody else have different diagrams of that panel? Something is clearly screwy here. Do you think maybe a previous owner repaired this car by scabbing-in a panel off of another vehicle??? If so, that should be obvious once the panel is inspected more thoroughly (lots of splices and such).

billr

wrench
Staff member
Dan's diagram certainly looks like the OP's pic, but what vehicle is it for? If it is for an '02 Corolla, why so different from what nickb2 has posted?

My Fuse box diagram is for a 2003 Corolla. The wire colors shown on the Horst ign connector photo also seem to match with a 2003 schematic. Go figger. What ev... Currently, all my vehicles start when I turn the key. So, all is calm here...

billr

wrench
Staff member
"So Sorry guys, i was wrong my corolla is from 01/2002 and it was built in canada. Just read this of the sticker in the door jam."

That is from reply #21. Are we in agreement that this must be a 2003 model, but built in early '02?