Tranny swap question (w bus 73)

Hello everyone,

Ok so i have a 1973 vw bus with a 3 speed fully automatic (not auto stick). I have a 5 speed porsche tranny that came out of a 914. I have the the engine that came out the car and it is identical to the engine in the bus flat 4 1700 EFI it has the vw symnol punched next to the E. I. N. Now i want to put the 5 speed in the bus but the only problem is that in the 914 the engine faced forwards and in the bus rear. So if i put that trans how it is i will have 5 reverse and 1 forwards. Do i need to switch around the pinion and gear or what would i need to do? thanks again.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
This is MAJOR conversion work and I believe violates the rules of BatAuto. Even if it didn't, the process is way to much to even think of trying to explain on a forum environment. Transman

Website
www.facebook.com
All I can tell you is a story of my father. He rebuilt his first VW manual tranny in a 1955 VW. Proud as all get out, he started it up and had 4 speeds in reverse and one in forward. So yes it is possible. He had to pull it and reverse the gears.