Make
Ford
Model
Edge Limited All Wheel Drive
Year
Miles
Engine
Hello all,
My daughter's car this time! Heavy black oil leakage from the transfer case (is that the correct term? AWD car and this thing is just behind the tranny.).
My guess is that a seal is leaking. Car drives fine and shifts good. Found the problem because of an odor--the oil leaking down onto hot exhaust pipe.
The big question: if it is a leaking seal, is this a job I can do in my garage? Or are there special tools required that I won't have? Any other thoughts/ideas/concerns/potential problems?
Thanks!
Doc

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is this a seal where the drive-shaft yoke goes into the case? Those are generally replaceable from the outside, with minimal "special tooling" needed. Post pictures... we like pictures!

infj23

I won't have a chance to get back under the car until tomorrow afternoon. I'll post some pics then.
Thanks, billr!

kev2

wrench
for the geeks among us - can you access this ?
mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/wsm/PTU_SEAL.wmv
Something new to me always learning/

infj23 For the EDGE - there are some tools listed and it looks a PIA to do this I am sorry my access is AFU right now no sense of humor. there is a TSB about a vent cap leak TSB 12-8-12.

grcauto

for the geeks among us - can you access this ?
mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/wsm/PTU_SEAL.wmv
Something new to me always learning/

infj23 For the EDGE - there are some tools listed and it looks a PIA to do this I am sorry my access is AFU right now no sense of humor. there is a TSB about a vent cap leak TSB 12-8-12.
Is that a protected file? Cyberlink doesn't seem to like it.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah PTU is what they call a transfer case for this car.

Here is how to replace that. You may need to get inventive in the miller special tool dept.

If you get my drift?!!:cool: A old school steering wheel puller will do the same trick as the ford "miller special" tool flange puller. I do not suggest using a zip gun or hammer sticks to remove the flange, you risk final drive whine down the road because of pitting of the bearing race due to impact force. Better to use a constant ratchet force with a puller to be sure you don't pit the bearings of the yoke.
Bearing preload can be done with an old school needle/beam style torque wrench such as this. See PDF below.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I like this tool for way more than just pulling balancers and steerings. They work great for mercedes output yoke flanges, bmw's and opels and you name it.

I once was in a pinch, use a hub puller and used a bolt in it to act as a flange puller on a 3/4ton. It is basically the same principle, but you can't use an impact unless you really know what your doing. It is always better to use a few minutes more to prevent what I wrote above, future bearing whine which just males you back in there wishing you would not have used that impact gun to save 5 mins of work but costs you another 12hr tear down on shop time.

https://www.amazon.ca/ABN-Harmonic-...ocphy=9000537&hvtargid=pla-568063589886&psc=1

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, it looks like this yoke doesn't slip in, it is a fixed flange like on old RWD differentials; with a crush-sleeve (spacer) to set bearing pre-load and all. That is going to make it more of a challenge, but can still be a DIY job. Just don't make it a job that has to be done on a rigid time schedule.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
A piece of flat bar with some rubber on it and two holes in a drill press makes a way stronger tool than the special miller tool time thing they want to sell you for 200$.

You want a slotted tool, just use a dremel. You will do all models of yoke hold down tools.

infj23

Thanks for all the great info. Because this is my daughter's car, and it's her money, she decided to take it to the Ford dealer for repair. Initial estimate is $1,000 (part) plus labor to replace the transfer case.
My guess is that the case needs replacing. See the video for what leaked out. It looks a lot more like grease than gear oil. It must have been cooking in there for quite some time.
Is this gear oil or gear grease?
Pretty nasty looking stuff!

billr

wrench
Staff member
I'm guessing a very heavy (140 or more) gear oil, with molybdenum-disufide in it.

grcauto

Yeah...it's a moly lube of some sort. Doesn't look bad....it's just thick stuff.

Fixed! The easy way.
My daughter decided to take the car to the dealership where she bought it to get this fixed. It would have taken me days in the home garage, so I'm glad she made that decision.
The really good news is that she talked to the salesman who sold her the car. He contacted Ford higher-ups and an inspector looked at the car. Ford covered the cost of replacing the transfer case! I think Ford has some awareness that there is a design flaw in this unit and they made the right call on this.
Thanks for all of the responses!
David