Make
Ford
Model
Escape
Year
Miles
Engine
v6
I have a 2002 Ford Escape. The transmission started slipping when starting out, but if I put it in 1st, it doesn't slip, then I can manually shift to 2nd, drive, etc... It doesn't feel like it slips at all once it's moving, and I pulled a 6% grade at 65 mph. When it started, there was a box around the 1, regardless of what gear was selected. This lead me to the Range Position sensor. I pulled it, and found that a prior owner had obviously kludged the connector (looked like jb-weld on it). I replaced the sensor and the connector. Now the display always shows the correct gear, and the 1 does not always have the box around it. Now, it still doesn't start out in Drive, but once it's moving, it shifts up and down correctly. I just have to put it in 1st to get it moving. Because it doesn't slip going down the highway and it does shift well manually, I cant figure out what to look at next. Still seems like a sensor or electrical issue.

grcauto

Did you adjust the range switch?

grcauto

You may just need to tweak it a little and see if you can get it to show the D in the box. I think it'll shift correctly without having to do it manual.

Once it's moving, by starting off in 1, then it generally shifts OK. It still shifts fine manually. I put a more advanced OBD2 scanner on it last night and read p0731 and p0732 (incorrect gear ratio 1 and incorrect gear ratio 2). This still seems odd, because I can manually shift. I was trying to find Live Data on the scan tool, but couldn't find it on any of the menus.

Yes, it's a cd4e tranny. Last night I didn't have any time to do much. I did pull both battery cables, to do a full reset on the computer. I'll drive it tonight to see if they come back.

Here's the latest information after I finally had some time to drive it. After the reset, I've driven it about 15 miles, 10 with few stops. No codes were set. It still will not start moving in Drive, if I put it in 1 or 2 it starts off, sometimes the way it should and sometimes it slips and grabs, but not too bad. When going down the road at 40 mph and I put my foot into it hard, rather than shift down it free revs. If I speed up normally it shifts right. Once in Drive or overdrive, it doesn't feel like it's slipping.

bp042665

hunting nut
the problem is mostlikely in the forward and direct drum assembly this transmission has a poor ground system and it will wipe out this drum assembly do to electrical current from the bronze bushing on a cast steel hub

I was originally really thinking it was only electrical, especially when I found that bad range sensor. But the more I drive and test it, the more it looks like it's gotta come out.

Thanks for your comments.