Turn on the ignition,all lights come on except the starter does not engage.

Make
Jeep
Model
Wrangler
Year
Miles
Engine
V-6 pre-pentastar
2008 Jk. 130K miles. Occasionally when I turn on the ignition all the indicator lights will come on but the starter does not engage. Turning it on and off a few times and it starts. The battery is fine. I suspect the ignition switch is failing?

When you turn the key to "Crank", do you hear a click noise from starter? If so, suspect starter. If no, suspect ignition switch or starter. If there is no click noise, try holding key at "Crank" for five or ten seconds...if it begins to crank, suspect bad starter or corroded connection.

big al

I just last week went thru this with a pontiac. 1st i checked for signal voltage from the ign switch ( can use a multi-meter or test light ) to the starter or solenoid. If no signal voltage then trace back to ign switch. If there is voltage then check cables. Lol in my case i checked 12.70 at battery (need a multi-meter for this check) and 12.68 at solenoid battery terminal. Had voltage from ign switch but no crank, lol had everything. Then check battery cable voltage at solenoid and had only 3.34, and thats not enuff to turn the starter. The cable literally looked brand new but after cutting open found many broken strands of copper inside. Replaced positive cable and all is good. Long story short---- check cable voltages (no load and load) check voltage/signal from ign. These are easy checks. Any security system, original or aftermarket?

Since I posted this it has started every time. Going to remove and clean all connections today and start from square one.

Tip...add a wire to the "trigger" connection (the small wire) for easy diagnosis in the future. Make the wire long enough so that you can touch it to battery positive or similar to allow easy starter activation if starter trigger circuit fails at an inconvenient time.