Valvoline Easy GDI

©hester

Hello all. I recently had a Valvoline tech come out to demonstrate Valvoline's Easy GDI complete fuel system cleaning kit. We used the 3 part 871999 kit. The demo car is a 2013 CAD XTS with 36790 miles. Please note a prior cleaning was done by Cadillac Service using Valvoline kit 844697 at 26778 miles.

The carbon build up in 10K miles was amazing. Please review before and after pics.

Attachments

grcauto

How was it running before the cleaning? The before pics don't look that bad but for 10K maybe. These GDI engine are tough to handle carbon and they carbon up plenty. I ask how it was running because I've seen quite a bit worse that were running fair to decent.

©hester

The vehicle was just starting to exhibit idle problems. Very slight, but noticeable. I do this more as a preventive issue rather than a drivability issue. I tell my clients fuel delivery system maintenance is just as important as regular oil and filter maintenance. An ounce of prevention...

grcauto

The vehicle was just starting to exhibit idle problems. Very slight, but noticeable. I do this more as a preventive issue rather than a drivability issue. I tell my clients fuel delivery system maintenance is just as important as regular oil and filter maintenance. An ounce of prevention...
Nothing wrong with that. Myself for my own I stay old school but that's a bit of work because I have to drop the exhaust to keep for getting carbon blown into it. I find a vacuum port to allow water into the intake. It does very well on the combustion chamber and valves but doesn't do much for the stems or intake. If I keep the vehicle long enough I will do a regualr intake cleaning but I udually don't keep my vehicles past the 90K range these days. I'm going to trade this one I have in the spring. I will get a program car or last year left over. I used to drive them to over 200K until about 12 years ago or so.

©hester

There nothing wrong with driving the wheels off of em. My son-in-law has a Chevy TB w/270K and still going. I myself have driven over 100K on several vehicles. I've done routine fuel injector service on all my vehicles. However, with the port/throttle body injection systems, service was at 30K intervals. A good cleaning always helped the idle smooth out.
Thx for your interest.

grcauto

I had the FI tool made for the large cans and loved using that with the 3m cleaner. That 3m was as good if not better than any other brand I've ever used. Man that stuff would clean out the most gummy fuel rails and injectors. Solved a lot of problems.

©hester

I looked at the 3M kit. It was over $700.00 USD. I ended up with a Borg Warner kit at a little over half the price as the 3M kit. It still works great, but not so well on GDI motors.