VW Cabrio advice

In October, I had the following work done to my 2000 VW Cabrio:

Water pump
Timing Belt
Serpentine Belt
A/C Belt
Special Antifreeze
Work Performed: Remove covers replace timing belt and tension, replace drive belts as needed
replace water pump with timing belt, check for leaks and system operation
Supplies: Lubricants, Hardware, solvents, Electrical Connectors, Evaporating Cleaner, Fasteners as needed, Information systems and scan equipment

Last week I had the following work performed at a different shop:

Vehicle stop running while driving CST heard noise then engine seize up and will not start)
crankshift key way broke/crankshift bolt missing/ crank gear came off, causing bolt to loose tension and cause vehicle to lose timing and valves bent/ crankshft gear bolt backed out/ gear came off damaging key for gear)
Replaced timing belt and tensioner/crank gear and bolt and tensioner.
Head/replaced collant flange/seal (intake/exhaust manifold gaskets/valve cover gaskets/cyl head bolts/cyl head gasket)

Here's my question- was the work done at the first shop the negligent. (the second job was done within the warrentied time and mileage).

Thanks for your help. ???

If they did not torque all the bolts and use thread lock, I would say yes. Just my $. 02.

I understand that no mechanic wants to throw another mechanic under the bus. I'm just looking for some advice as to whether or not I should go back to the first place and if I have a case. I have been told that I do, but to be honest, I'm scared to death. I am out 3000 bucks - so I'd really appreciate any advice I can get. :eek:

$.02....OK...just take your receipts from the job you just had done and go back to the other shop and talk to them....you might just be surprised what they will do for you....Jim

I know- I would have except the car broke down when I was out of state so I had to have it fixed at the second place. I didn't even realize that it was related to the first place until after they had begun work. :-\

I would still go back to where you had the work done and tell them what happened and that you had to have it fixed while you was on the road and see what they say about it...Jim