Water pump leak

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Top hose going to thermostat housing at the clamp was dripping. Once I tightened the clamp, all the leak disappeared. It shows sometimes the problem is staring at your face as grcauto once said but we cannot see it. I thank you all again.
Well that's great!! Happy you found it and didn't use JB as that stuff really would have been hard to remove if ever it was a gasket/ o ring prob.

I think we should elevate GRC to a wrench status. A wise man that one. That is if he wants it. I will be going away for awhile, but when I get back, I will put that to a vote.

But I am sure, that vote is already won. Again, great news Chaud. BTW, how did that gauge/dash problem go? I can't remember if I read up on that or not.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Just goes to show. You don't use bathtub silicone to seal an automotive engine.
I am replying to my own writing cuz, this is a tru story. Actually, I have several.

But this one particular client just did not understand the difference. In his mind, silicone was silicone.

In his mind, he was a boss DIYer. Made me wonder why he always came to shop after he tried repairs himself. Till I literally saw him use white bathtub stuff on literally everything. Every new visit to mopar shop showed a new piece of the car stuck together with bathtub silicone.

I don't know if he was a plumber by trade, but by the look of his 84 dodge omni, he sure had a ton of tubes of that stuff on hand.

This was back in 98. Still never figured out why he paid dealership shop time for an 84 in such bad shape. A 2/4 was his driver seat broken seat rest fix, front glass and back glass were literally plastered with bathtub stuff, radio faceplate was bathtub fixture style. Engine valve cover was same and that leaked constantly, then the porous/leaking trans pan had a full tube slapped on there. That was a huge success.

Shifter handle once came apart in my hand, guess what was holding it together? Yup, you guessed it. The inside of the car literally smelled of vinegar every time he would bring it to the shop. Every time we saw that awful thing come into the client parking, techs would magically have to go take a dump or had something else to do. Me included. But since I was the young buck back then, who inherited most of his messes? Me. He was a Belgian. They are a different type of redneck. He was sure funny to talk to though. He just lived by a different set of rules than the laws of physics.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
For those who find it hard to read my english, yes, a 2x4. A three foot length wedged between back seat and back of front driver seat. That was his version of a justifiable, non adjustable driver seat. I am amazed he never got stopped by 5-O. We had to deal with this fool for the 5 yrs or so I worked there. So that means, 98-2004. Still paying dealership shop time for an 84 in 2004. I wondered at his math skills.

I think he is dead by now. But I would not be surprised if that thing is still in his yard if he is still alive as I write these funny anecdotes. He seemed to be close to late 70ish back then. The amount of bathtub silicone on the outside and inside of that car would have made that thing as unsinkable as the titanic. Oh yeah, forgot, the titanic sunk. Probably around when this guy was born. :p

Last edited: