Winter Tires

My family and I will be driving all the way to Lake Tahoe this weekend. First thing I need to buy are winter tires for my 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Is anybody here familiar with the Toyo Observe G3-Ice Tires? Any other recommendations?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I have a few recommendations. Nokian is a great dedicated winter tire. Heard great stuff also about the Michelin X ice Xi3's. But I am not sure if they make a fit for jeeps. So maybe the michelin LTX would be good also.

If you don't live in a place like where I live, where law mandates dedicated winters, wrangler duratecs are big seller in the jeep world also.

But I think for a -100$ tire, the toyo's your looking at will do great. They are studable also if you want that option. Michelin LTX's are definitely not a -100$ tire. Those usually go for 200$ a pop.

One thing you will notice with a toyo vs a michelin, is the toyo's are much like a blizzak tire. They melt away when driving on asphalt.

I see the toyo's you are looking at for 96$ each. That is for a 225/75R16.

I work at a shop that also sells alot of tires. But I work in the tech dept, so I don't do tires, but I will ask the tire guys at the counter what they rec. But from experience, that toyo tire is great for the price. But it won't last like a michelin. I know a lot of guy's that roll with the LTX's, they say they just won't die. But with the toyo's at half the price, it becomes moot.

When I think of toyo tires, I think of micro bit tech. Not sure if the walnut shell does give a better grip, I am still on the fence with that. I always have a mental image of some squirrel chewing on my tires. I don't think the G3's have microbit. The ones you are looking at have a high content in silica much like a blizzak. They make for a great bite in low temps. But like I wrote above, they wear fast because of this. So if your going to be doing alot of highway driving, keep that in mind. Ppl do love them, but again, they wear out at an alarming rate.

Are you rolling 16's or 17's or 18's?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, just read a bit more on the g3's. Yes they do have microbit. So squirrels beware. ;)

However, not sure I am getting correct info from the site I looked at. Cuz the factory brochure from toyo states there is no factory height 75. Yet the sites says they sell (out of stock) a 225/75R16. Here is link to site, here is link to toyo brochure.

https://www.carid.com/toyo-tires/ob...ild_id=65596826&submodel=30795&vehicle=116647

https://www.carid.com/images/toyo-tires/info/toyo-winter-all-brochure.pdf Screenshot (293).png Screenshot (294).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So keeping all I wrote in mind. I am just saying I have found these sort of tires to wear out fast. The first blizzacks that came out were horrendous on wear. But they gripped like crazy.

Most tire companies today if not all of them include some form of silica. Since I am not a tire engineer, I can't really say how they overcame the "horrendous" wear life but I think it has something to do with different blends/compounds of silica and silane.

If anybody here remembers the goodyear F32's. What a great winter tire for it's time. The tread wear on those was hallucinating. All cops cars had them, ppl bought them and loved them. They took so long to wear out, my thought is goodyear discontinued them just because of that. And, they were awesome on ice.

Back then, I would only buy those tires. Now I am running new chinese tires at 40$ a pop on my daily driver and really like them for the price but also have nokian hakka's on the other and like them also. But for the price, the chinese sure know how to copy. So that also is another option you may want to look at.

Depends where you are coming from and how you get to your destination, check the legality of studded tires. Seems to me some U.S. states do not allow them on public roads. Might be better off looking at other traction enhancement options to install on tires when needed.

eddieguy

I have a few recommendations. Nokian is a great dedicated winter tire. Heard great stuff also about the Michelin X ice Xi3's. But I am not sure if they make a fit for jeeps. So maybe the michelin LTX would be good also.

If you don't live in a place like where I live, where law mandates dedicated winters, wrangler duratecs are big seller in the jeep world also.

But I think for a -100$ tire, the toyo's your looking at will do great. They are studable also if you want that option. Michelin LTX's are definitely not a -100$ tire. Those usually go for 200$ a pop.

One thing you will notice with a toyo vs a michelin, is the toyo's are much like a blizzak tire. They melt away when driving on asphalt.

I see the toyo's you are looking at for 96$ each. That is for a 225/75R16.

I work at a shop that also sells alot of tires. But I work in the tech dept, so I don't do tires, but I will ask the tire guys at the counter what they rec. But from experience, that toyo tire is great for the price. But it won't last like a michelin. I know a lot of guy's that roll with the LTX's, they say they just won't die. But with the toyo's at half the price, it becomes moot.

When I think of toyo tires, I think of micro bit tech. Not sure if the walnut shell does give a better grip, I am still on the fence with that. I always have a mental image of some squirrel chewing on my tires. I don't think the G3's have microbit. The ones you are looking at have a high content in silica much like a blizzak. They make for a great bite in low temps. But like I wrote above, they wear fast because of this. So if your going to be doing alot of highway driving, keep that in mind. Ppl do love them, but again, they wear out at an alarming rate.

Are you rolling 16's or 17's or 18's?
Nokians have worked out pretty well for me this winter on some snow covered rda