Wrangler clutch problems

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: jeep
MODEL: wrangler
YEAR: 2000
MILES: 100,000
ENGINE:4.0
DESCRIBE ISSUE....depressed clutch when downshifting into neutral, heard a pop, then couldn't get it into another gear, Coasted to a parking spot, cut off engine. Clutch peddle has about 2" of sponginess. I can get it in gear when stopped. Won't start unless I manually activate the clutch peddle cut off switch, once started, I can't get it in gear. Master cylinder is full, no leaks at either master or slave cylinder or along lines. Tried 4low, same deal, I could feel it trying to go into gear, but the clutch wouldn't let it go into gear. Thoughts?

If you are stuck and want to drive it home, you will need to drive it without using the clutch. Hard to explain all the details of making this work, but the first thing is to push the clutch pedal down to allow starter operation, then move shifter onto first gear position. With the clutch pedal held down, turn key to crank position, step on the throttle a little. Vehicle will begin to lurch forward, engine will start, release clutch pedal, you will find yourself moving forward in first gear. If you want to stop, turn off key, step on the brake. Not my fault if you hit something while trying to master this. Want to go faster? Upshift like you normally do, using the clutch pedal while shifting, and you may need to "be firm" with the shift lever. Downshifting is a different skill, I'm not going to try to explain it.

I've got it comfortably parked on a public street, although I did contemplate your recommendation. Looking for advise, is it the master/slave cylinder or something worse.

billr

wrench
Staff member
If the fluid level is staying OK, it is probably not anything caused by the master/slave system. Fork slipped off the slave, fork slipped off the pivot, fork slipped off the throw-out bearing, fork broke, pressure-plate spring broke, friction disk broke? Pull off the slave, look for any obvious damage to it, try to peek inside the bell-housing with a mirror, things like that; but you are headed towards removing that trans/bell-housing from the engine.

Sounds like a transmission shop, not my shade tree skills. The last clutch I did was with Dad, 20 years ago.

billr

wrench
Staff member
You choice, of course, but I suspect that Wrangler isn't as cramped for engine space as many other modern vehicles. This shouldn't be one of the more complicated DIY jobs.