'01 Aurora Codes PO 410 and 742

Hi all,

I have an '01 Olds Aurora with 200k on it. I swapped the engine and tranny a year ago. It has a 4.0 eng with 60k on it and an '02 tranny with 30k on it. Car runs fantastic, but likes to kick two codes. PO 410 and PO 742. The air pump... who cares? There is no emissions check in MT and the car runs great. I have no idea what the top end is on this thing. 135mph and climbing was fast enough. I am pleased with the car. Still, the PO742 concerns me.

1. Is this one of those simple solenoid swaps? Can I get to it just by dropping the pan? I watched the youtube video on it and am wondering where that TCC solenoid lives in this particular tranny. I am also wondering if I put the wrong tranny fluid in it. I used the OReillys brand GM tranny fluid. I think it is Dex 3/4, but quite frankly I just don't remember. If its just a matter of putting Royal Purple in the thing, that would be an ideal situation. The car doesn't act like anything is wrong. There is no hard shifting. It usually kicks on when I am going up a long hill in third gear and am heavy on the pedal.

2. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to try and problem solve and fix something that isn't really much of a problem. I would rather cut the wire to the check engine light to be honest. Any idea what color that is?

Thanks
j

kev2

wrench
THe check engine light is your friend- don't disable the diagnostics

Sounds like you did clear and test drive...?
Your scanner will read the P1xxx manufacturers specific- P18xx? - IMPORTANT !
Will send more TCC info later...

P0742
The TCC is hydraulically stuck ON.
Inspect for the following conditions:
A clogged exhaust orifice in the TCC solenoid valve.
The converter clutch apply valve is stuck in the apply position.
A misaligned or damaged valve body gasket.
A restricted release passage.
A restricted transmission cooler line.

P0410 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System
theres often TSB's for this (water intrusion?) - time permitting I will check

Hey Kev,

My "scanner" is of the $50 Harbor Freight variety. So, the code I gave you is all I have. Hmm... a pinched tranny line? Now there is an interesting thought. Still, it only seems to kick on when I am putting the spurs to it and wouldn't expect the thing to shift anyway. This has been going on for almost a year. I just haven't had the time to deal with it until now. The thing runs great and I have zero concerns about it leaving me sit/catching fire/explosions. The only problem I have with the car is keeping out of jail driving it.

WHERE is the tcc solenoid on this thing? I have no problem replacing a $40 part. I have done this on a prior Olds and on my Sierra. It fixed this problem twice before.

Got it. Swell, its gotta be on the freaking side. That sucks. I hate working through the wheel well. Oh well... Will get one coming before it becomes a problem.

Thanks guys.

Any chance of finding a part number? The tranny is from an '02 4T80e. I am finding every other solenoid EXCEPT the one I want!

Thanks
j

kev2

wrench
the part no# OR the exact location on valve body? -

this was really a cadilac drivetrain SO might wanrt to search under cadi....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moVNToSluKw

Let regroup - there are 2 solenoids.. The torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid valve is a normally-open exhaust valve that is used with the torque converter clutch pulse width modulation (TCC PWM) solenoid valve in order to control fluid acting on the converter clutch apply valve....

I cannot find a part number for the TCC solenoid. The PWM is listed and the part is available. I thought I would change them both while I am in there. Any ideas on a TCC part number or where to get one?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1364183,parttype,8476,a,www.google.com%2BSearch%2Bfor%2B2001%2BOLDSMOBILE%2BAURORA

This is what I am coming up with for parts. They are called by a different name, but they do appear to be the same parts. Also, there are two different types... MN1 and an MH3 designations. What is the difference? How do I know which one I have? The VIN will likely not be helpful as this is not the factory tranny. It would be interesting to know if there is a difference between what it had and what I put in. That would certainly account for the computer not being happy with me.

kev2

wrench
read the TSB I added !! - info on MN1 and MH3 are clearly there.... maybe the part #s ....

Not getting what I need here. Kev, how do I find that TSB you posted? I need to know the difference between the MN1 and MH3 and have not been able to locate your post.

I have read through all the different symptoms that supposedly come with this code. I want to reiterate... the car is not doing anything perceptibly wrong. I watched the video and am not exactly eager to go cracking into this nightmare unless I have to. I had a Calais that had this part go bad and it was a major problem. I would go to accelerate and the TCC would not release. It felt like trying to shift gears with using a clutch. It would sometimes die when I would go to stop. I know the symptoms. This car is NOT doing any of that. So... I am still curious why I am getting the code. It does seem to only kick on when I am putting the spurs to climbing a long hill while the car is in 3rd. This is not a place that the car should be trying to lock the TC in the first place. Makes no sense.