01 ford explorer sport trouble code 1451

jr31

Hello to all! I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport V6 4x4 and the check engine light came on last month. The trouble code I get is odb2 1451. I replaced the gas cap, cleared the code, it went away for a week or so but came back on a few days ago. If I untighten and retighten the gas cap and clear the code it will stay off for a couple starts of the engine but seems to keep coming back again?! Is there anything else I should be looking at to fix this problem? Any replies are greatly appreciated in advance!!!

Spector

Code P1451-The canister vent solenoid did not respond to PCM commands. The PCM expects to see
battery voltage when the solenoid is commanded off and voltage under 1 volt when the solenoid is
commanded on. Enabling conditions: Engine running. Blocking Action: This code can block
the following monitors: Fuel Control, O2 monitor, Catalyst Monitor, misfire monitor and EGR
monitor. Testing: Run the engine off and running self tests. If the code does not show up, it is an
intermittent problem. Use a voltmeter to check the operation described. Be sure battery voltage
reaches the solenoid.

jr31

Thank you for your response Spector. . . I would've never guessed the code could go so far. . . . . . . . after your post I noticed some corrosion on the positive post of my battery. I will clean it and let you know what happens. Thank you again!!!!

jr31

No luck here. . . I cleaned the battery cables and installed a new and better battery. Same thing. . . code 1451?! Does anyone else have any suggestions?!

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Have you checked the wiring going to the fuel tank?...Maybe a bad fuel tank pressure sensor(FTP sensor)....Are the connections tight?...Jim

although cleaning the battery cables doesnt hurt, by "battery voltage" spector meant to actually test voltage at the solenoids connector, not the battery. " start there then reply