01 Lesabre CKP learn procedure

JP

Just replaced a noisy harmonic balancer and tried the CKP learn procedure (with Autoenginuity software on my laptop).

As per the directions:

1.Set the parking brake.
2.Block the driver wheels.
3.Ensure that the hood is closed.
4.Start the engine and allow engine coolant temperature to reach at least 70C (158F) .
5.Turn OFF the ignition.
6.Select and enable the Crankshaft Position Variation Learn Procedure with the scan tool.
7.Start the vehicle.
8.Apply and hold the service brake pedal firmly.
9.Ensure that the transaxle is in Park.
10.Increase accelerator pedal position until CKP system variation learn fuel cut-off is reached. CKP system variation learn fuel cutoff is reached at 5150 RPM . Release the accelerator pedal when the second fuel cutoff is reached.
11.The crankshaft position system variation compensating values are learned when RPM decreases back to idle. If the procedure terminates, refer to Important above for instructions.
12.Observe DTC status for DTC P1336.
13.If the scan tool indicates that DTC P1336 ran and passed, the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P1336 failed or did not run, check for other DTCs. If no DTCs other than P1336 are set, repeat the Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn Procedure as necessary.

Apparently the learn test is working, because it allows the engine to rev to 5150 RPM, cuts it off, then allows it to go to the "second cutoff" which happens around 4000 RPM. I repeated this procedure 9 or 10 times, but it wouldn't set a P1336 for me. The cutoff is now at about 4000 RPM instead of the red line at 5150. There are no other DTCs set.

Questions:

1) Am I right in assuming that the "learn procedure" needs to be done again i.e. that it is not complete? I'm assuming that since the "new" red line is at 4000 rather than 5150.

2) How many times does it usually take to repeat this test to get it to set the P1336 code, which apparently tells you that the test is complete and everything is "learned" correctly?

3) Is it OK to drive without the test being finished? It seems the only "bad" thing is that the fuel cut off has not been "learned" to be 5150 RPM but instead is 4000 RPM.

4) What to do next?

5) Did I do the test right? Start test on the software, push down gas pedal until it reaches top RPM fuel cutoff at 5150 RPM, hold down pedal until it goes up to 4000 RPM and cuts off again then release pedal is what I did. Nine times in a row, shutting off ignition in between tests. All done with a warm engine.

JP

PS When increasing throttle during the learn procedure, how fast do you take to get from idle to fuel cut-off RPM or does it matter?

JP

Hmmmm. Drove it. No codes set. Red lines at 5150 just like it's supposed to

I'm leaving well enough alone. fixed