02 Altima intermittent no throttle response.

Wild Bill

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Nissan
MODEL:Altima
YEAR:2002
MILES:195000
ENGINE
:2.5
DESCRIBE ISSUE....Wife stops at intersection presses throttle-nothing happens. Rolls car into gore waits a few minutes then car drives fine. Happened 3 times on one short trip.

billr

wrench
Staff member
No codes? The engine just keeps idling peacefully? When she waits the few minutes, does she turn the engine off, or leave it idling and keep trying until the "wait" is up and it responds?

kev2

wrench
yu have the 4cyl? QR series eng?
sorry to say this is so called fly by wire...
as mentioned scan for codes... most likely in the manufacturers specific range P0999 and above so will need a good scanner.....p1222 p1224 etc

do you have a scanner that can show live data?

Wild Bill

No codes, yes on scanner, no she did not turn off and restart, it eventually resolved itself.

Wild Bill

Of course I drove 30 miles, no problem. Will clean connections in the morning. Has to be a problem in electronic throttle.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I understand that the car wouldn't move, but was the engine speed/sound not changing at all? What was she doing with the throttle while waiting until it would move again; holding it down the whole time, depressing it from time-to-time, or just tried it again after a few minutes and it magically worked (car would move again)?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I feel like an idiot, but what is a "gore"?

I know of Al Gore, climate warming and such. I just woke up at my usual time, 5 am, and tried to google a gore, could not find anything except this,

A gore is a triangular off/on road pattern to access a highway or else. Triangular in situ, normally.

Thank heaven I don't have any of those in my vicinity, I would be a road hazard. :confused:

My ex wife wanted to go visit england and other such countries where they drive on the right side of the road. Right meaning left, it is almost begging me to do something stupid. In french we call them a "rond point", nothing triangular there, and the rond point's have 4x4 marks cuz we don't like those useless traffic jams and snotty nose brittish or french trying to go round round and round for nothing but to look more swavey with their granola eating fundamentals.

Wow, hope I won't be slated a racist.

:D

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Nissan
MODEL:Altima
YEAR:2002
MILES:195000
ENGINE
:2.5
DESCRIBE ISSUE....Wife stops at intersection presses throttle-nothing happens. Rolls car into gore waits a few minutes then car drives fine. Happened 3 times on one short trip.
Sounds like a intermittent rheostat. Would be nice to see the accelerator pedal under my thumb with a good old DVM.

These can be tested like a good old TPS(throttle position sensor)

Look for a "sweet" spot, a glich or a lack in the ohmage.

Sounds like the fuel cut control is kicking in. If ever your wife encounters this again, tell her to try to keep engine above 1500rpm. And then bring it to a reputable shop to get that fly by wire system checked out.

The fact that it has a fly by wire tells me that you do not have the multi sequential injection system. so plx heed my advice, or you will be chasing dragons and much lost time and :money:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW, is the check engine light on?? If so, it is a hard code. If it goes away/light off, after a few starts, it's an intermittent and wiggle test, and pin test, if all checks out ok, replace pedal assembly and inspect the actuator at throttle body for stripped gears or debris in the cogs.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I hate these fly by wire systems, take the control right out of your hands and you are at the mercy of a possible faulty ECM/PCM and there is nothing you can do about it on the side of the highway.

I remember sitting in the engine bay with a gallon of gas and yelling at the driver, "we gonna get home one way or another" a few tablespoons of gas at a time in the carb and we did get home.

Was a site for sore eyes when we got home, hood up, my shins burning from the header and that got me a few free beers for my temerity. This was a TBI carb/they had no clue type deal.

The single injector decided it just quit. My buddy wanted to replace the whole TBI, I said that is not the problem. It ended up being a bad ground .

So those few beers saved him mucho dinero.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I switched to mexican cuz I can still taste the cervaesa and tequilla from that crazy day.

I must say that fly by wire is a safer and more reliable way, when the software and hardware are up to date.

But I still don't like the principal, when you take something out of my hands and put it in a chip and use a foreseen algorithm, and then tell me to forget about it, no go.

I just saw a new car while smoking a cig outdoors, new toyota, can anybody tell me where to stretch my legs? Much less a full on collision. This thing is smaller than the Mercedes Smart. Which is a feat in it's own self. index.jpg

kev2

wrench
checking grounds is noted in the trouble tree- done ANY work lately? maybe disturbed grd ...
without codes the trouble shoot would include a lot of the components..... I will look for TSB's maybe a clue there