02 astro cargo brakes

toolhawk

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:chevy
MODELastro
YEAR
:02
MILES:150000
ENGINE
:4.3
DESCRIBE ISSUE.... front brake line broke , replaced line , bleed lines and can't seem to get any pressure to build up in brake pedal at all , blead off all 4 lines multiple times still can't get any pressure to build up at pedal , pedal goes all the way to floor and do sent want to come up. Any ideas , started from furthest 1 and worked my way around

billr

wrench
Staff member
Does this have ABS?

toolhawk

No never , it was not a complete break of the line , small pin hole , pedal got soft, seen the wet spot on driveway , changed out line ( shortest line), line goes from front left caliper flex line to I believe to be abs junction, 20 inche line

JP

My understanding is that when air gets in the ABS thingy (when the reservoir goes dry), it needs to have it activated to bleed it out...simply bleeding the brakes in the conventional manner won't get the air out of all of the little chambers in there. There are ways to activate it without a scan tool like the Tech2, or so I've heard. Sounds like you lucked out.

Off subject, but when my Astro had ABS issues, it was the ABS module which some genius engineer decided to tuck up on top of the frame underneath the vehicle. Nearly 4 hours of work to get it off, but fixable (commonly a solder joint or two goes bad, activating the ABS light).

billr

wrench
Staff member
Remove the lines from the master cylinder, "bench-bleed" it on the car, then plug those ports at the M/C and see if the pedal is nice and hard. If hard, then that kind of eliminates the M/C as the problem, and once it is re-connected to the lines you may find that you have gotten lucky...

toolhawk

Bench bleed master , still no luck , gonna see if I can find scan tool to bleed abs , ugg!

billr

wrench
Staff member
Okay, I'm glad you did that; we can be pretty certain the M/C is good. I have no experience with ABS (and don't want any!), so must wish you good luck and bow-out.