02 cavalier no power in any gear but reverse

Damurda86

The only code I get is P0562, I'm thinking there is a bad ground or faulty wiring harness somewhere which is causing all my issues, the stalling and improper shifting. Whats the best way to track down faulty wiring?

billr

wrench
Staff member
A voltmeter is the tool to use. Do you have one? Are you going to need step-by-step instruction?

Damurda86

A voltmeter is the tool to use. Do you have one? Are you going to need step-by-step instruction?
I know how to use a voltmeter, I just need some instructions on how to troubleshoot and what to test to see if an electrical problem is indeed whats causing my issues

billr

wrench
Staff member
Battery voltage should be 12-13VC when engine not running, then go up in the 14-15VDC range with engine running.

If battery voltage does not come up to that 14-15VDC, then check voltage at the output stud on the alternator. Also check that alternator output for AC ripple, voltage at that stud should less than 1VAC.

These readings/values are all relative to ground. Ground should be the same at battery negative terminal, engine block and head, car chassis structure, and alternator case. Check for that by turning on some load, like headlamps on High and heater blower on full speed (engine running); then measure voltage between the battery negative terminal and any other place that should be ground. The reading should be near-zero, less than 1/4 VDC for sure.

Since you have that "low voltage" code, be sure to check the power and ground pins on the PCM.

grcauto

I know how to use a voltmeter, I just need some instructions on how to troubleshoot and what to test to see if an electrical problem is indeed whats causing my issues
The instructions are to use your DVOM and start checking basic voltage of the charging system. Make sure the battery is good before doing anything else.