02 Tacoma overheating

yeowguy

i have an 02 tacoma that has been sitting for a bit. i went out and started it up to let it run for a bit and went in the house when i came back out, it was off. The alternator was seized up and broke the belt causing the mechanical fan to stop and water pump to stop and made it overheat. I replaced the alternator and belt and had two misfires 1 in cylinder 1 and the other in cylinder 2. I replaced the plugs and 2 bad coils and it was running fine. keep in mind i also has the code p0115 for the engine coolant temperature circuit other than the misfires. engine seemed to run fine so iI took it down the street and after a mile it started smoking and overheating. The coolant is looking dark, but the oil looked fine. i also used the block tester kit from autozone and the fluid stayed blue. Any thoughts?

billr

wrench
Staff member
By any chance did you try turning the engine by hand right after you found it over-heated and not running? I'm wondering, of course, if it stopped running because it seized. Have you taken compression readings? Where was the smoke coming from on that last drive, the exhaust or under the hood somewhere; what color was the smoke?

yeowguy

i did not try turning it by hand. when i got it going today with the new coils it overheated and white smoke was coming from the radiator cap. I did try to do compression readings but the battery died before i could get all 4. i had 150psi on cyl 1. the rest were 90's but thats not accurate i think because it turned slow and kept dying.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well... charge the battery and take compression. Also pressurize each cylinder, like for a leak-down test, and look for bubbles in the coolant. I know, you did the block-test for combustion gases in the coolant, but maybe something was wrong with that test. An engine that was over-heated (maybe to point of seizing), coolant dark in color, rapid over-heating now; those all kind of hint at a head gasket leak.

yeowguy

Bill you're always one to answer so I'm not asking you to question but more fore knowledge. I always thought a seized engine would no longer turn? From the sounds of it your saying this is not the case? I'll try to pick up a charger to connect to the battery as I try to run the compression tests. I will say while doing the block test the fluid began to boil in the tester if that helps any.

After a seized engine cools down, it might turn freely, it might turn with extra resistance, it may not turn at all.