02 Tahoe - SES Light & 3 Codes.

Thank you for taking the time to read my topic.

My name is Brandon and I have a 5. 3 V8 4WD 2002 Chevy Tahoe. It currentley has 205,000 miles and runs great. . . or so I think?

In my home state of MD we have to pass "Emmisions" every year and I have about a month before they take my truck off the road.

I get 3 OBD codes:

P0332 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low Bank 2
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2

I plan to take this to a GM dealer, but do not have tons of money to try parts.

Do you think I need a new converter? If so, why did it go bad? It is my understanding that something would cause it to go bad, or is it possibly becasue I have so many miles?

Anyone that has seen this problem I would appreciate any input on what I should do. The truck runs great, no misfires or bad idling.

Thanks again, Ill be checking this post hourly! :D

Hope we can get you squared away - or at least a good idea what is the issue... Sorry for all the questions.

> I would start with asking- vehicle is STOCK - no magnets, chips, miracle filters or super promise parts?
Basically if its NOT AC Delco tell us.
> Have you seen a flashing SES light or had an issue with p03xx codes?
> I will ask about your scanner - can you read freeze frames? and hight priority codes P1*** type?

PS: any chance you WASH/claen engine prior to KS issue... got to ask.

kev2 said:
Hope we can get you squared away - or at least a good idea what is the issue. . . Sorry for all the questions.

> I would start with asking- vehicle is STOCK - no magnets, chips, miracle filters or super promise parts?
Basically if its NOT AC Delco tell us.
> Have you seen a flashing SES light or had an issue with p03xx codes?
> I will ask about your scanner - can you read freeze frames? and hight priority codes P1*** type?

PS: any chance you WASH/claen engine prior to KS issue. . . got to ask.
Thank you for the reply! I am happy to answer any questions for you to help me!

The truck is 100% STOCK. The only major repair Ive ever done was replace the intake gasket @ 100k miles by a GM mechanic.

My SES light does not flash. It is on constent. I have disconnectd the battery for 15 minutes to clear codes and see if any came back, which they did.
I have not washed the motor, but did have to drive trough a flood almost up to my headlights? Approx 2-3 months ago?

truck runs great! :)

Thanks again!

opelgt said:
Also, any previous work done. . . . like tune-up, filter replacements, etc.
The last previous work done was at 100k and it had plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, and whatever else it called for by a trusted GM mechanic.

Thanks for the reply! ;D

Often not much we can do with CAT codes* - hoping p0420 0430 is something we can connect to another issue. That deep water trek- any time connection with issues? ....

You cleared the codes and all 3 came back? Without doing the trouble shooting trees that would required a good scanner - I would mention you might try a long long drive really dry it out, the KS has a issue when they get washed might be same as you experianced, the CATS - never an easy or inexpenive fix, cant hurt to try - drive, drive, drive, then clear codes. If you want to check the cats use the link below...

* A good article by one of the techs here at Bat, will get you up to speed.
http://batauto.com/articles/catfailure/

PS- any starting issues, pinging sounds, gas milage took a dive?

ironhead

There is a product called `Cataclean` that you can add to your fuel. If the converters are starting to go, this will sometimes put a little more life into them. If they are completely dead, it won`t help. For the cost of a bottle ( not cheap, around $50 ) it may well be worth it, especially where you are talking 2 converters showing codes.
Guy

Gus

wrench
205K? Am I assuming these are original cats? If so, got your money's worth......fact you've gone another 100k without a tuneup is lucky.....sure sounds like cats, but the O2 sensors have to be checked.....

Big bucks for cats......if you put them in, I would seriously consider repacing the O2 sensors(don't know how old they are) and also do a complete tuneup.....

Gus

wrench
OK, I got curious.....

http://www.catacleanus.com/

Snake oil or not?

Gus: Looked at that site and they say,
" Your mechanic will refer to this as a PO420 code. In the case of mechanical failure of the oxygen sensors or disintegration of the substrate within the catalytic converter, nothing, not even Cataclean will address this…you must replace the part."

So, it sounds like Cataclean would not help, in this case.

Gus said:
205K? Am I assuming these are original cats? If so, got your money's worth. . . . . . fact you've gone another 100k without a tuneup is lucky. . . . . sure sounds like cats, but the O2 sensors have to be checked. . . . .

Big bucks for cats. . . . . . if you put them in, I would seriously consider repacing the O2 sensors(don't know how old they are) and also do a complete tuneup. . . . .
Guys, thanks for the help. I took it to my buddys shop and he said the CATS need to be replaced. My gas mileage has gone down I beleive?

These are the original CATS.

I should get another tune up. . . but it will have to wait, this is getting expensive very quick! Cheapeast I can find OEM replacement CATS was for $425.

TThnanks for all the help!

Also,

I have never done any flushes or replaced trans fluid. Should I do this or leave it alone at this point?

What should I do besides plugs and wires? fuel filter? air filter?

I must add. . . the truck runs great! I love my truck. . . and cant afford to buy a new one anytime soon.

I dont mind spending a few hundred every few months on it.

Thanks again, this is a very helpful forum!

do not flush the trans - change the filter and replenish fluid. NOT the universal one type fits all fluid, the type called for in manual often printed on trans dip stick.

Do a google search for OEM cats....not OEM TYPE cats... GMPARTSDIRECT I think is an online retailer

Keep us updated- esp on the KS issue.

Thnaks Kev

Im not sure Im oging to do anything about the knock sensor anytime soon. . . . I think either the sensor or harness is bad.

I know my SES light will stay on, but at this many miles, this late in the game and having to do all these emmissions "repairs" it will have to wait.

Thanks for all the replies!

When water gets trapped in the knock sensor wells under the intake, the water can wick up the harness (inside the wire insulation) and corrosion becomes a problem. If you open the harness connector on top of the motor and find water inside, the wicking will be the reason why.