'03 chevy Impala headlight plug corrosion

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The first link I linked to, tool is still good, made of aluminum and stainless steel. I highly recommend it, But I don't like using them, somehow when I use the tool, I figure a way to get one of the other pins extractors stuck in my palm, so I just end up using the 5$ chink kit, and when it breaks, buy another one, good to go for another 5 yrs.

Mostly, you want something that is comfortable to use. Now that YOU got ME doing research for you, I just paypal this. Dang, got the tool head going.

Don't buy this, waste of time. https://www.amazon.ca/Terminals-Electrical-Connector-Extractor-Terminal/dp/B07Y9DR69P/ref=asc_df_B07Y9DR69P/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=336006607110&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12755336259101846235&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000537&hvtargid=pla-838233121580&psc=1

You will just end up picking up stuff off the floor when the cheap kits explodes apart and you looking at it on floor saying, why did I even think of buying that.
https://www.amazon.ca/Terminals-Electrical-Connector-Extractor-Terminal/dp/B07Y9DR69P/ref=asc_df_B07Y9DR69P/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=336006607110&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12755336259101846235&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000537&hvtargid=pla-838233121580&psc=1

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
H
Nick, I just read the CLR bottle too, and it also says do not use on brass. Those pins and "sockets" in the plugs are brass. What would you use to push those pins out? I thought they had a little "barb" to hold them in the plug.
haha, somehow, I just knew it. :D:fixed::cool:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The barb can easily be disengaed wit a sewing pin or similar. But first, work the clr in, rinse, repeat if needed, the plastic WILL survive, no prob there. I am repeating my self now, but a mini pick set is what I use.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, I see your online now, that means you ain't cutting wood. :eek:

thx for saying I gave good advice, now I am going to follow my own, and since last night, yup, I did, I threw clr in my coffee maker again, and in my newish dishwasher. I got the dishwasher for 20$ cuz it had a leak from the dump valve. 15$ for parts, so I have a newish dishwasher for 35$.

That is good for me, cuz I told my GF to go take a hike for good a few weeks ago. Guy's at work really laughed at me on that one. I was the brunt of the joke for the day or so. They said, Nick gets rid of gf, buys a used dishwasher. :eek:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Today, I am throwing my old pc parts in the dishwasher, building new platform, amd, so my old intel I7 one is going to be my new HTPC.

A guy needs projects, since I have no wood to cut, this is what I do, tinker and tool around. I say this all the time here, this site saved my life.

Before 2008, I was a prison junkie mess so to speak.

Now I am gainfully employed, have REAL friends, and life is just better when I am off heavy drugs.

This is a shout out to all those like you that come here. You help me help you, and it becomes a sort of community in my head that makes me be more responsible, and apreeciate the finer aspects of my trade, but mostly, hankers me down to family values.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
As usual, I need a cool tune to get me going, 7:59am, means even if a saturday, still got stuff to do, but since I toyota echos, I ain`t got shyte or excuse to go outside, I rent now.

What would you use to push those pins out? I thought they had a little "barb" to hold them in the plug. Just let em soak in the clr for a while, rinse off with water, dry, repeat, if nessecary, or even better yet, just buy a new connector from napa, autozone, the local carquest is open thill noon on sat, they always have those connectors on hand if it melted.

Anyway, I hijacked again, par for course with an idiot like me, so here is my good day tune, and will stick with it, it was that or slayer. :eek:

NickD

wrench
This guy shows how to replace a headlamp connector, practically any auto supply store sells these.

He is an idiot by telling you not to tin that bare copper wire, for years, automotive always used plated wire, cheaper just to use bare copper. I also do not use those butt connectors, solder the two ends together placing a piece of shrinkable tubing on them.

One of the most troublesome connector is for ABS sensors, bare copper or brass exposed to road salt.

Use to use plated 16AWG stranded wire for everything even a 2 ampere directional signal bulb because it was more robust. On this new crap can find bare copper 30AWG single strand wire. Don't stare at it too long, will break it.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Does this mean I have to put my sledge hammer, and crow bar, away?
facepalm, I love it. Yes, the sledge is a bit way over the top for this tiny adventure, unless you want to go ballistic and send it away for good for a two wire connector. But essentially, the crow bar is useless, the sledge is way more efficient.

I have seen/done that before. Not smart, end up taking cab or bus, kids still need daycare. Not smart.

Dang, ocd again, remember that stalone movie, over the top?

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My father taught me to zone in early in life. Lesson I never forgot. Until I got homeless. But even then, I remebered movies like this one.

Question, early poll if you wish, as a memeber here, would you check out threads pertaining to full electrics?

NickD

wrench
Does this mean I have to put my sledge hammer, and crow bar, away?
Have those tools, around 60 years old now for building concrete forms and taking them apart. Post hole digger is a real man killer, had a post hole digger for my old Ford 2N tractor, good for a half mile fence.

Old body is falling apart, but still good for working with 30 AWG wire.

NickD

wrench
Titanium back links 18 months ago cause an infection that locked me up in the hospital for nine weeks, talk about getting bored stiff, had to proof I could walk with a walker and climb up and down a flight of two stories before they would let me go. Was hit by a kid passing in a no passing zone back in 95 headon and a motorcycle.

Witnesses said a flew 45 feet before hitting the pavement, recovered okay after 8 years of PT but old age is catching up with me. Male average life span is 76 years, I am 5 years past that and still kicking. 13 of my military buddies are gone, three of us are left. Can still use my snowthrower, like a walker, but not a vacuum cleaner or a lawn mower. Did manage to replace a snow torn inner fender liner last week, saved me a couple of hundred bucks.

Like Trump, no longer have to pay the VA a stiff co-payment, but if I drank and blew my money on drugs would get it for free.