03 chrysler van issues

rjh1

03 chrysler town and country van 3.8L 77,000 miles....2 codes...1st is a p-1297 and 2nd is a p-0306...I see p1297 is about the map sensor and p0306 is cyl 6 miss fire...explain about the map code if you please.....the van has not had fresh plugs..wires..or a fuel filter at all in 77,000 miles..can the cyl miss trigger the map code ?? the map code was the first code retrieved..would fresh plugs,wires and a fuel filter be a good place to start with the miss fire ??

Thanks very much

Cheef

King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
Website
www.ultra604.com
MAP= Mean Atmospheric Pressure sensor...it gives the engines (and transmission) computer an idea of what the outside air pressure is versus what is in the intake manifold. This gives an accurate view of manifold vacuum, engine performance and driver's demand on the engine. Yes, it could cause a misfire code...could.

At 77K you are in the ballpark for a change of plugs, wires and throttle body cleaning. Use DEALER plugs only....wires...aftermarket is OK, but don't get cheap ones even if they have a "lifetime" warrantee. A premium in-house wire (Carquest's are nice) or Autolite Pro Wires (my favorite from Advance). USe high quality carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner to get the crud out of the throttle body. The gasket is silicone and resuable. You will not need a new one. Toss a bottle of Chevron "Techron" injector cleaner in the tank when all else is done.

You can check the #6 wire for blow through...looks like white stuff where the wire gets near metal items, or pull plug and check for cracks. The #6 is the one in the front row, radiator side towards the driver side of engine. 2,4,6 in front....1,3,5 in back. Low numbers are towards the belt side, high numbers towards tranny/driver side.

Cheef

rjh1

installed new plugs and wires...cleaned throttle body....cleared codes...started van still runs very rough....got miss fire on cyl 6 again..swaped #6 new plug with old one that was good....still got miss fire ...swaped new wire with a different old one ..still got miss fire code...# 6 plug is wet.....thinking coil is bad ??? I can bring home a new coil and map sensor to try from work and see if that solves the problem.......other ideas are extreamly welcome.....i used champion plugs # 7440 .. also belden wires...

rjh1

ok new input....broken intake valve spring on # 6 cyl..thats the miss fire...I have the rocker bridge off...I have a friend who has the correct valve spring tool and a air hold fitting ...i need to know after i replace the spring and set the rocker bridge back on what is the torque spec for the bridge bolts..and is there a certain sequence to torquing them..
Thanks very much.....

rjh1

broken intake valve spring.....$3.00 at chrysler dealer.....nice and smooth no codes Thanks