03 Honda Civic Hybrid CVT shuddering, jerking, drive light flickers

tork

I have my hybrid into the dealer now for the same problem they stop-gapped 9 months ago by "burnishing" the tranny. I noticed the drive light flickering, esp. at high speeds and accelerations, but inconsistently. When I took the car to the dealer, they acknowledged a service bulletin, and demonstrated the shudder, or "judder," and burnished the tranny. The drive light continued to flicker intermittently since then,and now the car jerks horribly when driven at slight acceleration (just above idle, as in driving thru a parking lot). This jerking is also noticeable at slight accelerations driving thru town. This time they intend to replace the EGR valve, which I contend is another band-aid to put me off until my extended warranty expires in 4000 miles. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Bat.
If it is under warranty let them fix it.
If the drive light is on or flickering you may have a engine miss or running problem.
The engine has to be running right for the transmission to work right.

Keep a copy of the repair tickets when you take it in for repair so if the same problem comes back right out of warranty you will have a case for more warranty.
Good Luck.
MT

2POINTautO

Contact Honda of America now, Honda has had a rep for not wanting to help as you are thinking, a good technician should be able to tell what the problem is on a test drive with a scanner hooked up to the car, you drive it, not him. If they have a portable scope, they can watch the spark pattern and tell if there is an issue with the engine as well. The dealer should have some sort of dyno or a way to run the car in the shop, a brake tester or something to drive the wheels on.

Have they tried disabling the IMA (electric assist) to eliminate the hybrid part of it being the problem? Honda has had problems with their hybrid models. That's part of the reason they're getting away from the hybrid scene now. Has the CVT trans been serviced ever (fluid replaced?). Was this only dealer maintained or not?