03 Stratus, get check engine light

Captain

My mechanic changed out the coil pack with a USED one, new plugs, and wires. Was o. k. for about 3 weeks then engine light came on and seemed to start losing power, only momentarily though. Next day light was off. I decided to change out the pack myself with a brand new one (Echo) and 2 weeks later the same thing happened. Put it on a scanner with another mechanic and he said "bad coil pack. " This is where I stand right now waiting for it to happen again. NAPA will go good for a new pack as soon as I bring the other one in. Is there a bulletin from Dodge for this type of problem?

crunch

wrench
What engine and mileage and what code no?

Tsb are a you pay deal.
But if you want to look them over the all the data sub top right has them all online.

kev2

wrench
As Crunch asked
code number?
Engine sie?

Also any add on's, modifications or AFTERMARKET parts??

Captain

The part I am using is made by ECHLIN. #IC49. The car has the 2. 4 OHDC. with 79,000 miles. Printout I received from tech says code: P2305 Ignition Coil B Secondary C. I believe there is a bulletin out for this problem but I do not know how to access it. Do you? Please Help!

crunch

wrench
You can find all tsb and recalls here.

http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

The code is for a coil burn time.
It can be a plug or plug wire or coil problem.

Does it have good hot blue spark to all spark plugs?

Captain

the fire on each plug looks fine. All are showing a nice white, clean deposit on each plug. I dont know what the gap should be though, do you?

crunch

wrench
Depends on if a coupe or sedan.

I would check the latest cry/mopar oem specs for plug type and gap.
What brand of plugs and wires did you feed it?
DEALER OEM TYPE STUFF ONLY HURTS ONE TIME.
Crunch said that.
Also I would trade that Napa coil for a cry OEM coil.

Also check with the dealer on a reflash on pcm.
There is a tsb out on codes being set by the wrong pcm programing.

greasemonkey

Change Spark plugs to an NGK lztr4a or go to a CDJ dealer and get 4 plugs part # s2lztr4a11,witch are the NGK plugs. DO NOT use any type of platinum plug or other type spark plug in this engine. This is the factory fix for many drivebility problems with this engine. HTH Good luck!!! Greasemonkey :) GAP .040-.042"

Captain

Greasemonkey. This is the best advice I have had. Yes they are platinum plugs-Champion. This is what the car calls for. How about using a non-platinum plug? The wires are also new-purchased at NAPA. along with coil pack. An OEM part was double the price and someone at Dodge told me the aftermarket parts are just as good. Should I ask them about NGK plugs and their advice as to the performance difference that may occur? Thanks for the great info.

crunch

wrench
greasemonkey said:
Change Spark plugs to an NGK lztr4a or go to a CDJ dealer and get 4 plugs part # s2lztr4a11,witch are the NGK plugs. DO NOT use any type of platinum plug or other type spark plug in this engine. This is the factory fix for many drivebility problems with this engine. HTH Good luck!!! Greasemonkey :) GAP .040-.042"
Coupe and sedan are different.
You need to know which one.
Crunch

greasemonkey

Crunch is right I forgot it was a Status if it is a DOHC try the NGK. If it is a SOHC I would still try a non platitum plug Good luck!!! Greasemonkey :) Give us the 8th digit of the vin # from left to right.

scottsxbox

WHILE THE VEHICLE IS RUNNING PULL ON THE WIRE HARNESS AT THE COIL PACK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A BAD CONNECTION, ALSO SPARY DOWN THE VEHICLE TO CHECK FOR ANY ARCHING ON THE PLUG WIRES. ALSO WHAT ARE THE DRIVING HABITS AND HOW OFTEN DOES THE LIGHT COME ON WHEN YOU DRIVE IT EVERY DAY?