04 Cavalier climate control mode switch only works in the Vent position.

Switch operates smoothly throughout its range, but air only blows out of the dash vents with exception in the recir position that blows out the vents anyway, except the recir door does close. Blower switch is okay as is the blend door.

Anyone run into this problem? Yeah, I can find the problem, but will have to pull the dash first, and baby its cold outside.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
NickD, check this TSB out, seems similar to your problem, fix seems simple. If not your problem here are some diagrams of connectors and thier wire functions.

[attachment deleted by server]

Scotty

I got a 2005 Cavalier and i will save this info if i run into this problem with my car as well. ;D

Thanks, Nick, did do a google search on this subject, looks like hundreds have the same problem. Some had to replace the mode switch control cable as well and said total parts cost was 18 bucks. Called my dealer last night, doesn't have the parts in stock, but can get them the next day. See Chevy only pays 0.9 hours for this job so can't be that bad.

Suspecting using a piece of adhesive backed foam and expecting it to hold, ran into this before, and augmented that with weather stripping cement. See many never made it to the end of the warranty period.

Gus

wrench
You are correct.....the cable usually kinks because the door gets jammed by the loose seal......

Just look under the dash, as you rotate the mode knob.......if it kinks as you move it, you will need a new cable.....however, it kinks for a reason....usually because the door is jammed by that seal that came loose.....now the whole dash pad will have to be removed to fix it....

Its not that foam rubber seal, was still in place, but just about ready to fall off. As I guessed double sided Scotch tape is the only thing holding it, but augmented that with weather stripe cement, sticks now.

Appears the mode door cable is on the drivers side, can reach up, barely can move the lever to reposition the mode door, but failed to see the cable attachment. Don't know about you, but I can barely fit under there, had a heck of a time coming out.

So besides removing the side, top, radio trim dash pieces, that entire one piece of big plastic that screws unto the firewall has to come off? That looks like a major job. The levers on the climate control panel moves sideways as the mode knob is turned, but I just can't see where that cable attaches to the mode door. Maybe I should look again.

Did set the mode door in the vent/floor position and going to have to leave it for now. Wife has to use the car tonight. Wonder if she broke, I never dared rotating that mode know until the car is warmed up, very stiff, was that way since new. But works easily once warmed up. Wonder if she broke it.

Yeah, I have a kink in the cable, works fine in recir, vents, upper/lower, but won't move going into floor. Will have to order a new cable and plan on spending a weekend.

This is the culprit:

Kink is right by the mode knob, could straighten it out by removing the console, read where others sprayed the controlled end with silicone that help to free it. But prefer to replace it, ends have eyes that just fit over, its those two tabs I can't quite see to exactly whats holding those on. Plastic clips?

Would have far better access if I removed the front seat, could give it a shot. Some stuff in the way for the mode door side, that can be moved. One guy said a dealer would charge 60 bucks to replace it, doubt if they are removing the entire dash for that kind of money.

Gus

wrench
You don't have to remove anything to replace the cable, just have to be a contortionist underneath the dash(driver's side).......problem is, if that mode door is jammed.....then you can only access it by removing the pad......

6' 2" tall, 215 pounds, 71 years old, but still can bend a little. My little 5'3" 120 pound wife admitted to forcing it when it was cold. With the console and drivers seat out, think I could do it, but should make her do it. Picking up a new cable in the morning, let you know how I make out. Mode door does work easy, was able to stick my hand up there and move it by hand.

Push-pull cable is kind of dumb, okay to pull when rotating the knob CCW, but have to be darn carefull CW when that thin wire is pushing.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@gus, well you know, I am a long time martial artist, my dad actually teaches Can-Riu jiu-jitsu 4th degree, 2nd degree black belt in Kempo, 1st degree in Judo. I myself went more the kickboxing and olympic boxing route, but managed to get lotsa years of mixed martial arts under my belt. But me being so wild in my youth, couldn't hang around long enough to get to where my dad got. That being said, I can still do the split at 35 yrs old. And yeah, braggin' again! :ROFL
So in a nutshell, I am an ex fighter, an ex alcoholic, an ex husband, but not an ex con, yet!! So braggin' is all I got left gus!! :ROFL
My dad always sets up a dojo wherever he lives, lately he has one set up in Kugluktuk. Northern Jiu-jitsu Dojos. Jiu-Jitsu Autodéfense - Kugluktuk, Nunavut The dojo of Adrien Breton Sensei, 4th degree black belt.
So we have fun, great way to have fun with a 65 yr old, my old man can twist me three ways from sunday and not break a sweat. Crazy guy if you ask me, I brought him into the arts back when I was 10, I was doing shotokan and my parents got divirced, he wanted to do something with me to solidify the son/father thing after his separation. He never turned back, I'm quit proud of my Dad. :thx

Can offset Nick's bragging with complaining, been nine months since carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand, was told it will be back to normal in six weeks. Took over six months for the numbness to start to go away. Right hand was like a dead fish. Was two weeks ago, I could finally use a nail clipper to clip the nails on my right hand. Did get a second opinion, have to give it a full year now for full recovery. Makes sense now, distance from where they did the cut to my finger tips is 8 1/2" and three nerves have to grow back at the rate of 1/2" per month, maybe 16 months is more like it, but gradually getting the feeling and the use of my right back. Glad to know these nerves do grow back.

Makes doing any kind of work miserable, glad this cable is on the drivers' side, can use my left hand to replace it. My analysis of the cable problem, in recir mode, the wire is greatly exposed, and thats where I leave it when parked. Takes about 3/4 a mile of driving as that mode door is clear to the top. With this subzero weather, frost can freeze that door making it difficult to get out of recir, but the car doesn't fog up in that time. Wife did force it, can barely get my hand under the climate control and feel that added loop in that wire. Only an inch clearance behind it, a tad over an inch below it with that console in the way, with the console out, should have about five inches of working space.

Still curious as to what holds those plastic tabs with a hole in them, but will find out shortly. Not too many screws in the car, snaps together like one of those cheap glueless plastic models. With great care yesterday, was able to unsnap everything without breaking those tabs off. Got the interior nice and hot first before starting.

Sat in a new Regal yesterday, was impressed with Buicks' commercial until then, seat is way too small and as hard as a rock, and surrounded by even more plastic. Nothing like my old 65 Buick. They want 30 grand for that piece of crap, if they produced a 65 Buick today, would probably want 200 grand for it. Cars are a ripoff today.

NickD...about those plastic tabs with a hole in them...they go into a slot, in that slot is a flexible "flag" with a nub on it. To install, merely push cable tab into slot until it clicks. Part of the "flag" extends above the slot (on the opposite side of where the cable housing goes) and if you flex the flag back, the nub no longer holds the tab, and the tab slides out.

Very simple design....hard to figure out if you can't get a good visual assessment. Since it requires very little force to work, lends itself to manipulation with small hooks and skinny pliers.