'04 Colorado, wipers not working BCM or switch?

OldFart

Make
Chevrolet
Model
Colorado
Year
Miles
Engine
3.5 I5
I'm new to the site, but have heard great things about you guys. I drive a 5 cylinder (yep, GM made an inline 5 cylinder from 2004-2012) 2004 Chevy Colorado with a quarter million miles on it. Cruise control stopped working a year ago, wipers stopped working a month ago. Replaced the brake switch, cruise control still not working. Replaced wiper motor assuming it was the problem. Then discovered where I should have 12V, I have 0.2 volts. I figured the multifunction switch was bad since all fuses were good and the 2 relays associated with wiper/washer were replaced and still no go, so I replaced the multifunction switch with one from my local U-Pull lot. So, the cruise control now works now, but not the windshield wipers. I still have only 0.2 volts, but at all the right places as I move the switch from position to position. This multifunction switch controls cruise, wipers, washers, blinkers an bright/dim headlights. Wiring diagrams that I'm fining are terrible and not giving enough information to diagnose anything. So, Do I assume that switch that I got from the junkyard is also bad? This vehicle requires removing the steering wheel to replace the switch, so it's not an easy job. The housing of the switch actually goes all the way around the steering wheel shaft, no tricks to this one. The switch cost close to $200 at a local parts store, $135 if ordered. There are no more donor vehicles at the U-Pull lots. Part is specific to 2004-2008 Colorado/Canyon trucks. Does anyone have access to wiring diagrams for this truck? What I would love to see is a simple list of all of the wires on the plugs on the multifunction switch, the color of the wires and what they do. Wiring diagrams that I have found so far show everything going through the BCM. I have no codes, no check engine light on, and no other electrical problems at all, so I don't think it's the BCM, but I wish I had some confidence that I was purchasing an replacing the correct part. I certainly can't afford to replace both the switch and the BCM. I appreciate any recommendations you guys can offer.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I'll give a summary... the OP needs schematics for all the circuits controlled by the multi-function switch.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
oh ok, I would have never got that.

Here it is, and since I dont know if it has the quad light option I included both. If you need more, just ask in a better paragraph. I litterally am not a princess, I just have a hard time reading english but I really tried on that one and got confused.

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
Those schematics show only three wires that go to the multifunction switch, and no labels (# or letter) for the pins. There are 3-4 cables with connectors dangling from the switch. On RA I see wire colors and pin labels, but no function. I think that is what the OP needs, wire colors, pin-outs, and functions.

Agreed, the OP's writing was not easy to follow, so I may be interpreting wrong...

OldFart

Thanks for the help, but my windshield wipers/washers aren't working. I'm looking for a schematic for the plug for the multifunction switch.

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
There are four variants of that multi-switch, depending upon whether you have an auto trans or manual, and CC or not. I know you have CC; how about the trans?

You do have more than one plug on that switch. correct? You only want info for that on larger plug?

Mobile Dan

wrench
Found this by searching this forum for "Pooch1995 2004" Some schematics are included in that post.

Search results for query: 2004

• 2004 Chevy Colorado Wiper Problem with TSB 3827
    Re: 2004 Chevy Colorado Wiper Problem with TSB 3827 SOLVED! SOLVED!!!!! Thanks to all you for your help. You guys were right on. With th help of the schematic, I followed the yellow wire and found it had been severed. Looks like a rodent of some type got up into the area and started chewing on...

2004 Chevy Colorado Wiper Problem with TSB 3827
I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado, 3.5L, 5 Cyl. When I turn on the ignition the wipers work for 3 sec and just stop wherever they may be at that time, do not park properly. The same happens when I set the wipers to intermittent, low, or medium (3 seconds then stop). The only speed that works...

Some schematics are included in that post.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Having the original MF switch removed from the truck is a bonus for diagnostics.
Some other testing can be done by working with the wiper relays.
Remember that the MF switch tells the BCM what you want by creating "closed circuit with multiple possible amounts of resistance". So, a resistance value of *example* 350 ohms tells the BCM to activate the wiper to do a single swipe at high speed every 5 seconds.