05 Chevy Avalanche - Power Steering Gearbox Replacement

wolfsmane

My 05 Avalanche LT 5.3L V8 - has a leak in the power steering gearbox.

I have never replaced a gearbox before. What is the difficulty level of doing this procedure? Any special tools needed?
Is it as easy as remove old unit, replace with new unit? Anything I need to look out for or pay special attention to?

Thanks for your time and help.

The hardest part is usually getting the pitman arm off of the pitman shaft. Parts stores will "rent" a tool for this.

Very important to prevent steering wheel from moving from "center position"....and also to be sure gearbox is at "center position" when installed. Not at center could cause broken clockspring.

kev2

wrench
where is the leak?

As for R&R straight forward - need pitman arm puller. Only advise - start with wheels straight and then remove key, disconnect pitman from irelay rod, leave pitman on steering box, till on bench, some of the steering box shafts have a pitman arm index some remans do not. If not - be sure the new box is in center of rotation - equal turns both clockwise and counterclockwise - easier to confirm on bench than once installed-

Been real lucky with Lucas PS seal conditioner on several older vehicles. Get the front wheels off the ground, slightly, remove the return hose from the PS pump couple a length of hose to a container, tie that hose down. Have an assistant rapidly turn the steering wheel from stop to stop with the engine idling, and pour in the Lucas. When the fluid come out clean, kill the engine, reconnect the return hose, then top it off.

On several vehicles, lasted till the rest of the vehicle fell apart. Worth a try. If it doesn't, can return the bottle and get your money back.

wolfsmane

I appreciate y'all taking the time to reply.

The weather sucks here right now, so I'll have to wait until it clears to do this.