06 Dodge Ram Diesel 2500 4x4 , brake lights on dash

toolhawk

ok , 2006 dodge2500 4x4 deisel 200,000 miles, original owner, 2 days ago replaced caliper guide pins and boots on rear only , never took calipers off , pulled bolts put boots in place then pins, very simple , two days later brake light on dash came on(last night) today abs light came on (just now 9:30 pm) heading out at 5:am 200 mile trip with trailer , any ideas why ? I can stop in after noon and pull codes but interested in your thoughs. THANKS

JackC

wrench
Ideas-- Possibly nothing to do with what you did. The obvious would be low brake fluid. But I assume you looked there already?????

billr

wrench
Staff member
Was there some problem that caused you to change the pins and boots?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I will be away for awhile, but this is confusing to me. 2 days ago replaced caliper guide pins and boots on rear only , never took calipers off , pulled bolts put boots in place then pins, very simple

Did you clean out guide pin glides/pin holes? IMHO you need to rebuild and check dot fluid loss or see if wrong dot was put in it :idea:

Do you have access to a good scanner? What are the "brake light' codes? Need more info, and other wrenches here will help also. 8)

toolhawk

Rear calipers were loose and you could hear rattling when hitting bumps at low, speed that why I replaced pins , did need it and fixed that issue. Fluid full , did nothing to pin holes , did not feel they needed it. Will try to pull codes today.

billr

wrench
Staff member
How much were those pins worn, do you still have them to post pictures?

My experience is that caliper guide pins last "forever", at least over 20 years. You need to find out why they wore so quickly. I am amazed that those could be worn enough to let the calipers make an audible rattle loud enough for you to hear in a diesel truck! Point is... there must be more to this story. Either this thread is a joke on us, or the OP needs to do a lot more inspection and find the root cause. Changing the pins just shifted the symptom.

toolhawk

1st of all NO JOKE !!! Not sure if i still have pins but will check , pins were rusty , corrosion on them , boots were very deteriorated and allowed crud in them, Michigan salt! Very simple install , very smooth and no play between caliper and pin now and no rattle. just drove to Band camp , pulled 7000 lb trailer , used truck for week for a total of around 700 miles ,brakes seem fine as always but brake and abs lights on, will pull code in the morning.

NickD

wrench
ABS codes? Why even speculate until you find out what they are. Coincidence? In vehicles, getting rare to find just one problem that is easy to repair, typically find several that need attention. So many in fact, wonder if even worth repairing with the super high parts costs.

kev2

wrench
I am following this - was expecting ABS code check.... Did we miss something?

A thought- parking brake could you have used it and not released completely?

toolhawk

Right front speed sensor , something cut , damaged wire, come up from road? Will see if can be fixed tomorrow or its $106