gullythumper

Make
chevy
Model
impala
Year
Miles
Engine
I need to remove the driver's side front seat. I got under the car today and it's completely enclosed. I cannot see the nuts that hold the seat bolts. How do I remove the seat?

Mobile Dan

wrench
You need to move the seat fully forward, then remove the two bolts in the seat track that attaches the seat to the floor, then move the seat full back and then you have to tilt the back of the seat up a bit a pull rearward to unhook the front of the seat tracks from the floor. Then unhook the wiring.

gullythumper

I'm going to try this later today. When you say tilt the back of the seat, do you mean that is tilting the entire seat? The reason I'm doing this, is that I the seat back position lever doesn't work, so I can't change the position of the back. I assume there's a cable that lets this happen, and that it, or what ever the mechanism is, must be broke

gullythumper

My seat isn't quite like the one in the video, but I managed to get it out.(you forgot to tell me I had to disconnect the seat belt, but even with my feeble brain, I figured that out. LOL NOW.....I found the four plastic "tabs" that are held in with clips, and got all four of them loose(on the side plate that houses the recline lever and power switches) but I can't figure out how to remove the recline lever. That has to come off for me to access the mechanisms behind it. I'm stuck at this point now. I don't want to pry too much on the lever for fear of breaking it. If I can get that off, the panel should come out far enough for me to inspect the mechanism and see why it isn't activating the seat back tilt action

Mobile Dan

wrench
Is there a cap on the lever that needs to be removed to get to the retainer clip?

Is there a retainer clip similar to a manual window crank handle?

Last edited:

Mobile Dan

wrench
Look for a problem with no 9 "connector rod" that operates the mech on the other side of the seat.
1619371518315.png

gullythumper

Dan, the hardest thing I can do is bow my head in shame and thank you for the help you gave, but I was completely wrong, and you didn't catch it. LOL..On my car, that lever is NOT the seat back lever! it's a lumbar pump. Ends up my seat back is tilted by one of the two power seat switches. I never had a car with a reclining seat back that wasn't activated by the lever, so I just assumed. Oh well, I learned how to take the seat out anyhow. Breakfast is on me if you ever get to my area of Pa.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Well, you had a great chance to find lost treasure under that seat.

I grew up in Scottdale PA. Don't get back much except to visit my sister near Apollo. I have several friends near Lancaster. I have been to Old Bedford Village and Shawnee Park.