Make
Toyota
Model
Camry Hybrid
Year
Miles
Engine
?
Just picked up a 2007 Camry (Hybrid) and found out the steering wheel controls are not working. I did some quick looking online, but didn't find any obvious answers or suggestions. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!!

grcauto

Clockspring?

rboettcher

Hmmm. Interesting thought. The horn works, though. Buttons on the left do NOT but some of the buttons on the right DO. Also just noticed the Bluetooth speaker and mic don't work. Possibly related?

NickD

wrench
To save on the number of clock springs, switches select different resistor values, switch contacts can be tested with an ohmmeter, perhaps someone spilled a coke on them. Some switches can be taken apart and have the contacts cleaned, others are candidates for the trashcan.

Private sale? Didn't check everything out first? Usual case, purchased someone else's problems.

rboettcher

Thanks! That's a great idea. I'll take it apart and see what I can do.

It was a private sale from a friend. It is mechanically excellent but I knew there would be things wrong--just figured I'd see if I could fix any of the more noticable and annoying things. The car is going to live far away from me and be used for a vehicle when we visit our kids and grandkids on the other side of the US when we vacation. And by we, I mean the wife...since I have to work.

billr

wrench
Staff member
If you list which specific functions (of the wheel switches) work and don't work, we may be able to see some commonality; especially if somebody posts a schematic.

NickD

wrench
On my latest toy, complete control of the radio on the left side of the steering wheel, but since I been using the radio dash controls for the last 57 years, hand automatically goes directly to the radio even for hand free calls.

On the right side, switches for a lot of remote control, distance fuel economy, still has a fuel gauge, but next to that the most important switches, cruise control, that has got to work, can get a speeding ticket for driving 27 mph hour in town with a 25 mph speed limit.

So what controls do you have, all my 88 Toyota has is the cruise control switches.

Daughters 2018 Kia base model Soul, what a name, came with a blank panel on her steering wheel, did a net search and found the cruise control switches on a panel that snapped in that same slot as that blank panel on ebay. Had to add a wire so now here cruise control works perfectly, jerks don't want to install that on base models, not only Kia, but everybody else except with GM, have to replace the entire steering wheel for 250 bucks. That snap in panel with free shipping cost me 15 bucks. Dash lights up as well with the cruise on and can pulse mph up or down or switch it off.

Is possible you may find some switches on ebay. With these DOT unibodies, one dent makes them unrepairable, so litterally thousands of wrecking yards are on ebay.

NickD

wrench
Not sure about your Toyota, same buttons on other cars, top is radio volume, provided you have a stock radio, aftermarket is a good guess. Does the radio volume control work on your radio?

Next roll is a station selector, AM, FM,or selects different MP3's if your radio has this feature, or maybe a CD players, cassettes are kind of history.

Mode switch primarily selects between AM or FM, or whatever features your radio has. Like it says, holding the mode switch turns your radio off.

Bottom switch is for so-called hand free calls, have to pair your cell phone with it via bluetooth. On older systems just works for answering your phone, newer one, had to key in all of your contacts one digit at a time, name, number, newest ones, copies all of your contacts off your phone.

Why it doesn't work, good question, switch, radio, has its own connector, disconnected, practically all of these switches just duplicate the ones on your radio, do these functions work on your radio?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I know I am repeating myself, but just look at the miles on the thing, if it is on its first clock, you dont get a left side knockout one shot.

After all these miles, op will turn a few more times, then right side will go, the spool (I think that is the english term) is on its last legs and will snap the rest of whats left of the ribbon cable in that clock spring.

Swapping that clock spring is quite easy to do on the models, don't even need a puller. Just a good whap left to right after taking off the 22mm nut.

You may (probably) need to do a zero calibration with a scanner. As you may end up with a chassis code C1231 or something to that effect. If you dont do the calibration, it may knock your trac vss etc.

Hope that helped. Normally, just hitting a shop with a bi directional scan tool will get her done.

As an after thought, plz disconnect the battery a few minutes prior to air bag removal to access the 22mm nut. And also, primordial, wheels must be as centered as you can get them prior to installing the new clockspring. When you will receive the new clockspring, there may be some centering tabs or a sticker to remove, this is primordial it does not rotate prior to installing, if it does, you may kill it on first full sweep turn. ;)

NickD

wrench
My eye caught that 350,000 miles on the vehicle, clock spring maybe the only thing wrong with it. Also redundant, just for the radio. Use to use just a slip ring and a brush for the horn only, these multifunction switches rely on precise output voltages so a direct contact is definitely required.

Every time you rotate the steering wheel, that spring winds and unwinds, after 350K miles could break, see used one on ebay in to 30 to 120 buck range, these are complete assemblies, guys buying base model cars wanting to add cruise control just got the spring. These are preowned, I think that means used or even used up.

NickB2 mentioned the air bag, definitely has to be removed, this vehicle is 13 years old, not sure if the airbag circuit has to be manually discharged, somewhere along the years, added a bleeder resistor to it so the only requirement is to disconnect the battery and make dang sure it is disconnected many got broken necks by not doing so.

Something to think about for this minor convenience of operating the steering wheel controls for the radio. Also seem to lack heater, shift, and windshield wiper controls. Wife flunked her drivers test three times by taking her right hand of the steering wheel to manually shift gears. I drove her route maximum rotation on the steering wheel with these new cars was 30 degrees, left or right and effortless with power steering. Idiots in the DMV, I took my test in a 37 Caddy Limo gear shift on the floor, had to roll down the window to signal my turn, right hand off to shift gears, and about a ten turns on the steering wheel lock to lock, but I made darn sure I removed my suicide knob first, but passed my test.

For her to pass, had to buy a vehicle with an AT. Shame on me, still operate my radio with my right hand, not easy to see all those pushbuttons on the wheel, and still can see my radio with my excellent side vision, not taking my eyes off the road.

rboettcher

I have a clock spring on order, but just got a little more history: everything worked fine until a couple years ago when there was a recall and the dashboard was replaced. At that time the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel and Bluetooth stopped working. He never took it back to get repaired... So it sounds like something probably didn't get plugged in properly.

Does that maybe change the direction of what the remedy may be?

Thanks for everyone's advice!!!

NickD

wrench
Radio's use to have just two connectors, power in and speaker out connector and another for the antenna.

Quite a few more today, one new car I purchased, a GM, the radio didn't work, how did it leave the factory? Rather than fool with it, took it back to the dealer, one of the six connectors was only plugged in half way.

It this is your problem, kind of wasted buying a clockspring assembly anyway and really not a joy to installed with that airbag in the way.

DIN radios needed two U-shaped hooks, two little holes on each side, install the hooks, pull them outward, radio is in your hand. No telling what you have to do today, new law against screws, chrome strips snap in and have to try to snap them out without bending it, but snap in so easy. If you break off tabs, will have to live with rattles.

Shark fins require to remove the head liner first, also snaps in. Air bags kicked out the dash speakers, in doors now like your feet have ears. More stuff to unsnap.