1987 Toyota Camry brake light switch cushion (or plug)

josiah

Make
toyota
Model
camry
Year
Miles
Engine
4 cylinder
Guys,
This, for you, is an ez question. I found out the hard way that my brake lights were staying on; the brake light switch malfunctioned because the cushion( small rubber plug) had deteriorated and fallen in pieces to the floor. I bought a new cushion at the dealer (very cheap). After looking at youtube videos for some cars they are easy to install. But this old car is not as easy. The switch is far up the brake pedal arm. When I tried to install it I use a small jack and a piece of 2x4 to hold down on the brake pedal as far it will go. The cushion needs to go in a hole in a flange directly across from the switch. The problem is the space is very small. Is there a trick to increase the space between the switch and the flange to more easily insert the cushion?
I think the switch is fine so I don't think I need to remove it; just want to plug that cushion in place.
I told you this is an ez one. Thank you.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Try removing the fasteners (probably nuts) that hold the brake power-booster to the firewall. That may allow you to move the master/booster assembly forward a bit and let the pedal drop closer to the floor.

JackC

wrench
You may want to cut, grind or ? to remove some of the retaining material from the stop to allow it to go in easier.

NickD

wrench
When I have to work under the dash on my 88 Supra, remove four bolts, already anti-seized a long time ago, disconnect the connectors to the power seat, set that aside, throw an old comforter on the floor, lie down and take a nap.

Had to get under the dash on my 2010 Cruze, no power seats or connectors, but only two torx bolts at the rear, only way to get those out is with an air powered impact wrench, has to be held straight or you will grind out those tiny tabs and even get them out.

Do not feel human beings were designed to work under the dash, we, at least me don't bend that way. Air bags did away with that center front seat where a console is now on all vehicles, sure don't want to sit on that, that gear shift lever can go up in you where it hurts.

On many vehicles with a leaking heater core, the entire instrument has to be removed first. Most than a five minute job and those anti-freeze fumes will kill your kidneys. Think after about 70 years could come up with a safer antifreeze.

josiah

Thanks BillR, Jack and Nick plan to give it another look see tomorrow. Thanks.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
team work, I love it when a plan comes together. Is that mike guy gone now? Or should I send a team on hard old ppl after him. ??

I am pretty sure you got this nailed, cuz you thinking is good.

I just wanted to comment on how others think these sort of threads should be and how gratifying it is to see when an op who is sincere post back a pos or neg result.

thx

For this, you deserve a thunderstruck

NickD

wrench
On this new stuff with an AT, have to step on the brake pedal, not only switches on the rear stop lights, but completes the path for the starter circuit.

Defective brake switch can leave you stranded. Also releases the cruise control.

On the Model A Ford and other vehicles of that era, rotated a shaft with levers on it to apply the brakes, that's all it did.