1988 Chevy Van not shifting....

M

Mo

My Mother-in-Laws 1988 Chevy Van is not shifting out of low. It's a 350 V8 with I assume a TH350 transmission. It's 50 miles from me and I was wondering what type ATF I should take with me. I think it may be anything from low fluid to a vac-modual/Line.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
If it is a 350 trans, although it should be a 700, the problem is probably the same. The governor gear "apple cores". When this happens the trans has no idea that you are moving so it obviously will never shift. The modulator can only make it not shift until you hit 40 or so mph then the gov takes over and bang shift. The cable adjustment on a 700 will make the same thing happen 40mph bang shift. My vote is for the gov gear. Cheap and although a bit difficult can be repaired on the vehicle. Post back, Transman

M

mo

I found it is a 700R4 tyranny. I test drove it and it stays in low. It would intermittently freewheel when I had the lever in Low and moved it to 2nd. Pulling back into Low range and it would downshift to low. Tried to drop the pan and found the tyranny crossmember catches in the rear and crossover exhaust pipe catches the pan in the front. I was out in the boonies and didn't have anything to push the tyranny/tyranny mount up to get clearance. Going back today. the fluid did have a little red left to it and had a faint burnt smell. Anyone think a filter fluid chance would help it at this point? Thanks all.

crunch

wrench
Did you not read transman's post? :)
As he said check the governor gear and TV cable linkage.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
You have at least checked the fluid level, right? You had mentioned it a few times but never said whether it was full and burnt or low. Transman

crunch

wrench
Transman
He has a post in domestics forum.
Where he said he changing the filter fixed his problem.
But he never did say what the fluid level was. :)
Crunch